LegacyGT.com

Help - Replacement Engine?

Hey There,

I was an avid member for many years with my 2005 Legacy GT and loved it to pieces. So much that my mom bought my baby brother a used 2008 non-GT used car. Apparently... Those are not so darn bulletproof as GT that I overboosted to 380whp... It just ate through enough oil to wipe the bearings and the shop is saying a new engine is over 6000$..... Does that sound reasonable to anyone for a car worth 2800 dollars? Apparently this is a huge common problem.

Hoping one of the great guys here has a better suggestion than junking the entire car...

Any help appreciated.

not checking oil is a common problem, 6k for a ej253 does not sound reasonable. around me a complete jdm ej253 with 60 to 100k kilometers for under a grand and it shouldn't be more than a 10hr labor job. but most shops wont take used or anything from customers anymore because people are whiners if something breaks and want to go straight at the shop and not the parts they brought them.

i.e. taking a jdm motor to a shop convincing them to install it, not checking oil and blowing it up. must be the shops fault right...

in my expirience any shop will try to convince you that in order to do it right you have to do it their way so it's pretty much in their hands how much they want to charge.

if garage space is an option then honestly its not to hard to do yourself. so much room in there without the turbo witchcraft and such.

The non-turbo engines are pretty reliable. The head gaskets fail and that's about it. After some miles though they do go through quite a bit of oil and if it's not checked regularly then obviously the engine will fail. Engine can't run without oil.

Source a used engine from a junkyard and find a shop who will put it in.

Low mileage junkyard motors are good options. You save on the labor costs with a complete motor swap (wiring, fuel, intake, exhaust), you can usually get a warranty and nothing beats factory build quality.

check car-part.com for suppliers

Archived