LegacyGT.com

Tire tread depth

So here in Minnesota the weather finally turned and we got a bit of ice and snow. That motivates me to put on a set of snow tires that I picked up off of Craigslist. They are in great shape but I have some concerns about the tread depth. One tire is 8/32nds, two are 7/32nds, and one is 5/32nds. I've read that you don't want more than 2/32nds difference between all four tires on our cars.

Is there a way I can remedy this? I've heard that I could get the deepest tread tire shaved to bring it in line. Is this my best solution or am I overthinking this? Should I mount them as is?

• Moderators
Subaru says the max difference is 5/32" in circumference

O.

I've heard in the past that the max allowable difference is 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of tread depth. I haven't heard the 5/32" circumference difference.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Been awhile since I checked. Am positive that the 5/32 was the spec.

A quick search shows that 1/4" is what is now being spoken of.

Tis better to err on the side of caution.

O.

Nope.

Flexible tape or string.

With a string its easy.

Take one tire and wrap the string around the center of tire. Pull taut and using a pen go across where they intersect.

Then take the string and wrap around the next tire. Measure the distance from the mark to the new intersection. Repeat for other two.

Keep the string close to the center in each case.

O.

Archived