LegacyGT.com

Anyone Install Kartboy Shifter Bearing?

I did a search but could only find people discussing whether they thought a bearing was better/worse than a bushing, but couldn't find if anyone actually installed this?

http://www.kartboy.com/x4/product.php?productid=16285

I have the Perrin bushing now, but one of the o-rings tore when I was removing it to install the boomba short shifter adapter plate, and it's now reinstalled with one missing.

I figure if I'm removing the Perrin again to replace the o-ring, I might as well try the kartboy bearing (on sale for $15)...

Anyone have experience with the install?

I did. Kinda a pain to install since it needs to be pressed in. Thought it felt noticeably worse than the Perrin bushing. Removing it was a terrible pain in the butt (since it was pressed in). Additionally, why use a bearing when a bushing makes way more sense? Not sure a bearing should be under repeat radial load like this - unlike a bushing.

Long story short, don’t do it.

It's more likely to fail vs the brass ehich should last forever besides o-rings. The bearing is standard 3/4" OD bearing with 1/4" ID. IIRC identical to skateboard wheel bearings add a 1/4" bolt with 2 fender washers and you've got the KB kit for <$10. Same size for the o-ring standard 3/4" OD and possibly 3/8" ID X 1/8" W should be close. You can find them at Lowes or any hardware store for pocket change.

I wouldn't be terribly concerned about the load on the bearing (it'd take a lot less abuse in this application than in a skateboard wheel), but unless it's going on a track-only car that never sees rain and is nowhere near an ocean, that bearing will eventually lock up on you. Then again, if the outer race is pressed in and the inner race just slides on, there's a good chance the bearing isn't actually spinning- it's just a bushing at that point anyway, and brass-on-steel will feel a lot smoother than steel-on-steel.

Thanks, all!

I'll stick with the Perrin. Any advise on what kind of lubricant to use (I can't remember what came with it)?

BTW, Perrin was very quick to ship me out a replacement o-ring for free, and the confirmation email stated the size:

"X-BLT-018-N70 - O-Ring .739" x .879" x .070 Buna For Shifter Bushing"

For reference, nominal size on a -018 o-ring is 3/4" ID x 7/8" OD x 1/16" thick. Should be able to find something with those dimensions at most any hardware store, although in my experience, it won't be labeled as -018.

Far as the grease, I think it was some sort of silicone grease. I'd have to try to find the tube in my toolbox to figure it out for sure, though.

For reference, nominal size on a -018 o-ring is 3/4" ID x 7/8" OD x 1/16" thick. Should be able to find something with those dimensions at most any hardware store, although in my experience, it won't be labeled as -018.

Far as the grease, I think it was some sort of silicone grease. I'd have to try to find the tube in my toolbox to figure it out for sure, though.

You work with o-rings a lot?

Just curious because I work at a o-ring manufacturer. Used to make them, but I've moved up quite a bit since I started here.

^ That sounds kinda familiar.

I don't work for an o-ring manufacturer, but I do a good bit of design work with hydraulic hoses and fittings, so I have a folder on my computer full of Parker and Eaton catalogs for hoses, fittings, and o-rings. That, and I used to play paintball a lot (need to get back into that...), and there's no shortage of o-rings in paintball gun and tank regulators and such.

Archived