LegacyGT.com

Cobb Flex Fuel - Am I missing something?

Just a little more info on the e85 talk.

Recently spent a large amount of coin on engine with two tunes, 93 and e85. Emptied the tank two about two gallons and filled up from a BP station. The car has ethanol percentage indication installed. BP fill up with 14 gal of their e85 and two gallons of 93 was showing between 69 and 71. Drove around nice and easy for most of that tank until I got down to 1/4 tank.

I understand that Shell gas is supposed to be quite the stuff so I opted to fill up from their e85 station. Knowing that they get their corn from third party vendors, I however assumed that being a company that is proud of their product, their corn would be held to a higher standard as well.

I filled up with there e85 and my ethanol read 45. :eek: I get 15 to 20 on pump gas around the Chicago area. :confused: So now I have to baby my car for another couple of hundred miles because my e85 tune does not know how to act with this mix. I eventually reflashed back to my 93 tune just to get the engine to smooth out enough to drive the thing through that tank.

So the fun begins when I get back down to a 1/4 tank. Instead of going back to BP for my corn. I think.., come on now.., this is Shell we are talking about. I pick another Shell station, flash back to e85 tune in the station and fill up.

I get back in the car and see my full tank reading is now 30. WTF are they selling at these Shells in this area that does this. They are selling e15 as e85.

I drive the forty miles back to my house slow and easy as I can manage.

I get to within two blocks of my condo, turn onto the street leading to my place from the intersection and pop, pop, pop, smoke.

I pull in and I have a hole in my block on an engine with 1500 miles.

I don't guess with fuel, I stick with what I know works. I'm just scratching my head on why you even went back to the shell e85 at all. And were you watching your feedback knock? Maybe in the midst of babying it you were lugging the heck out of the engine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cobb will never do it. I was laughed out of their booth when i asked about the possibility of a parts kit with no tune. He said 05-09 maybe but i doubt we'd ever see them come out with a new product for a decade old car. 10-12s are just way to rare for them to even think about it as they would have zero chance for profit. There is a list of almost 40 dudes with 4th gens saying they are ready to put cash down and cobb hasn't even responded to them.

i was wrong!!!

...flash back to e85 tune in the station and fill up. get back in the car and see my full tank reading is now 30....I get to within two blocks of my condo, turn onto the street leading to my place from the intersection and pop, pop, pop, smoke.

I pull in and I have a hole in my block on an engine with 1500 miles.

Why didn't you flash back to the 93 tune if the reading was so low? you flashed back when it was at 45, but opted to drive it at 30 knowing the tune couldn't deal with that low?

As for as why I went to a second Shell that was fifteen miles away from the first one I went to, I thought I thoroughly addressed that but I'll add a few more ditties..., the wife factor, and the location factor.

The first one is the wife is crazy about Shell gas, whatever the blend, and how dare I besmirch the rep of the great Shell gas..., lmao. The wife factor is reeeaaalllllll…

The second is that I planned my day of business to be around the only e85 station within five miles of my location when I ran it as close to dry as possible. I was of the mind to give my e85 tune the best blend I could as the it was second tank after switching over from 93 oct.

As for addressing the switching back to the 93 tune. I did a real-time switch to 93 after I got on the highway. That was about 4 miles from the station and as soon as I could manage the switch. That tune turned out to be the worse of the two and I had to keep the revs above 4500 to prevent knock.

That blend was less than e51ish to two gals of stuff around 70 to stuff in the forties.

LOL. Winter blend is not an option when it is a ninety something day in August.

As for lugging it, the light weight flywheel and extra heavy duty ACT clutch assembly, something that I didn't mention I was equipped with, is a combo that does not lend itself to 'lugging'. I need revs to pull off, and I don't do a relative cruise, 'lugging', gear unless I am using six. It was in second gear and above 3500rpm when it went.

I am going with a closed desk block this time since I have to get another one anyway and the Cobb Spec b kit when it comes out.

Hopefully that will be soon.

Archived