LegacyGT.com

Bought a 95 240sx S14, lets build a drift car!

Well for the first time in my life I bought a car other than a Subaru! Picked up a 1995 S14 240sx shell with no motor or trans, very straight body, and full interior for a price I couldn't refuse. The end is a a track ready drift car that maintains some street car features (carpet, stereo, dash, heater/AC, door cards, etc.).

I'll be doing as much of the work as possible and learning some things along the way. Everything will be documented on my Youtube channel in addition to a bunch of Legacy content.

Here's how she looked when I picked her up:

ec87263bd89e3e049e5dfd20d478a59c.jpg

56b712aeea5c03303c0fb0a0309052a2.jpg

Check out the first video where I go over my plans for the car:

And the most recent video where I began the tear down:

Consider subscribing to the channel, I'd love to get more legacy guys following along!

240sx is a great platform. I vote for a turbo ls1.

I've always wanted one, so I'm stoked to finally be building what I've been dreaming about. You're definitely not the first to recommend the LS1, I'm torn because I have always love the 2JZ and my friend has a healthy one locally. The main downside is the 2JZ will obviously be much more expensive overall.

A turbo ls1. Too many N/A ls1 240s.

2jzs are great but they are heavy pigs. A 2jz with the 6 speed getrag and all components is almost 750lbs. An ls1 with a t56 and all components is a hair under 500lbs. Granted a turbo setup would add weight to it. The stock KA motor and 5 speed are around 500lbs.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a ls1 240sx years ago for 7500 bucks. What stopped me was the mess of wires hanging out of every part of the interior. Didn't want to come into someone's partially completed shit show.

So is drifting something you're already into or do you want to build this car and start drifting?

240sx is a great platform. I vote for a turbo ls1.

A turbo ls1. Too many N/A ls1 240s.

2jzs are great but they are heavy pigs. A 2jz with the 6 speed getrag and all components is almost 750lbs. An ls1 with a t56 and all components is a hair under 500lbs. Granted a turbo setup would add weight to it. The stock KA motor and 5 speed are around 500lbs.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a ls1 240sx years ago for 7500 bucks. What stopped me was the mess of wires hanging out of every part of the interior. Didn't want to come into someone's partially completed shit show.

So is drifting something you're already into or do you want to build this car and start drifting?

That's good to know, definitely something to consider. Even if a turbo setup is 50lbs which is probably on the heavy side, it's still 200lbs lighter.

That was a huge reason I picked up this car in particular, I wanted a fresh platform to start on and build it the way I want a car built and not someones half asssed mess.

And looking to just get into it. The idea was to build this car to start drifiting while learning more mechanically. I have done pretty much all the work to my LGT and learned a ton, but I want to push my mechanical know how beyond the suspension, minor engine, and aesthetic bits I have learned from the LGT and I'll definitely be able to do so with this build. The main issue I am running into now as I plan out the build is where do I start and stop with the build, I don't want to have to do things twice in the long run which means some things will likely be total overkill for a beginner but save me money in the long run. If funds allow for it, I may try to buy a cheap drift missile in the spring to learn on and sell it when I finish this build.

LS2 LQ4 with a turbo kit. Stupid reliable at 500-600hp. I have been looking at a koeki *spelling* 95ish 240 down the street for the last two years and hasnt moved. I have offered twice now and he says he has plans...I will wear him down lol.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

LS2 LQ4 with a turbo kit. Stupid reliable at 500-600hp. I have been looking at a koeki *spelling* 95ish 240 down the street for the last two years and hasnt moved. I have offered twice now and he says he has plans...I will wear him down lol.

Dave

I'll have to look into cost on the swap, I'm sure it's cheaper than a complete 2JZ swap. Keep trying to wear him down! Haha

LQ4s are the cheapest route but they are iron block, so about 90lbs heavier than a alum. They can handle an good amount of power with the stock bottom end. Plenty of turbo build write ups on the internet on how to get 600whp out of one for about 3-4k which includes the engine and parts and you do the labor. There is even a write up where they ran 100 dyno pulls from 800-1300hp on the stock bottom end(new bearings, rings and pistons but they were oem) and it never broke.

I think you can still order up low mileage SR20s for 2 grand. The only down side is you just spent 2 grand on a motor that only makes 202hp but that can be turned up to mid to upper 200s pretty easily.

LQ4s are the cheapest route but they are iron block, so about 90lbs heavier than a alum. They can handle an good amount of power with the stock bottom end. Plenty of turbo build write ups on the internet on how to get 600whp out of one for about 3-4k which includes the engine and parts and you do the labor. There is even a write up where they ran 100 dyno pulls from 800-1300hp on the stock bottom end(new bearings, rings and pistons but they were oem) and it never broke.

Man that's an insane amount of power in a pretty cost efficient setup. That get's back to another concern of too much power to begin learning how to drift.

Realistically an SR20 with 300 WHP would be plenty of power to learn with and a straight forward swap, but from everyone I have talked to it sounds like it will be pretty easy to out grow that engine/amount of power. I don't want to install and engine with the intent to swap in something else in a year when my skills progress. I figured it would be best to do a stock 2JZ or V8 of the bat and build it as my skills develop.

Not only too much power to learn with but how much power and torque can the 240sx chassis handle?

300whp is a lot in a car that light. Probably be trapping 112-116mph in the quarter depending on gearing.

Right, that's another thing to consider. Fortunately I have heard the S14 is a bit stronger and more rigid chassis than the S13. At this point I am planning on caging the car since it will be stripped down and the ideal time to do so, which will help stiffen it up. Fortunately I have a friend who does a lot of welding and has built many FD spec cages to bring the cost down a bit. I'm also going to do an power brace up front so hopefully that all helps stiffen up the chassis to handle whatever power I would need.

But you're absolutely correct, 300 HP in this light of a car is quite a bit. Which brings me back to the question of should I just stick an SR20 in the car... :spin:

Haha I think I'll stick with something more traditional that requires less fab work and more proven results for drifting. I'm already racking up quite bill with my list of parts I am looking to purchase to build the car up to my standards.

Or go the other way - build an electric car.

skip ahead to 12:05 for electric car donuts

I vote SR or KA to let your skills develop then go to something big, there is still a lot of fun to be had with 150 to 250whp. once you start sliding you will be smiling and it wont matter whats under the hood.

look into Chelsea Denofa's channel on youtube, he's build a couple 200ish whp bimmers to slid around in the off season and they shred hard, what i'm trying to say is save your money for tires and gas, get a motor in that thing to get as much seat time as possible.

any plans to register it?

skip ahead to 12:05 for electric car donuts

I vote SR or KA to let your skills develop then go to something big, there is still a lot of fun to be had with 150 to 250whp. once you start sliding you will be smiling and it wont matter whats under the hood.

look into Chelsea Denofa's channel on youtube, he's build a couple 200ish whp bimmers to slid around in the off season and they shred hard, what i'm trying to say is save your money for tires and gas, get a motor in that thing to get as much seat time as possible.

any plans to register it?

Thanks for the input! My rational side completely agrees with you, I would defiantly go SR over KA though. With 300-350 out of an SR I know it's plenty of HP in such a light car and would be great for a wide range of skill level in drifting as I progress.

I wasn't going with the 2JZ to chase HUGE power right off the bat, it just so happens that friend of mine has one with low miles in good condition and I've always wanted that engine in a car. The big plus for me is knowing I won't need to upgrade down the road in a year or two. My thought has been to build exactly what I want off the bat since it a clean slate but that can get out of hand quickly. Haha

And yes, I do plan to register it. My ideal end result is a drift ready track car that I can take on the streets and has some of the features of a street car (carpet, stereo, dash, heat/AC, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ordered Bride Zeta III Type L buckets for the car along with a bunch of other small interior parts. Radiator is getting delivered tomorrow, need to find a FMIC to have that ready to mock up mounting points on the custom core support.

I'm stripping the interior out this weekend to drop it off with my buddy who is building the cage next weekend.

If you have any questions on the S-Chassis let me know. I've been working on them since 2003, and still have my S14 (road race / time attack car). Since you already picked up an engine, I'll skip what I was going to say with that. My advice, is to keep the engine you picked up as stock as possible and learn the car before adding any big power mods. I would stick to reliability mods for now and dive hard into safety and suspension (and a good diff). Also, look into Fueled Racing for a JZ swap kit if you haven't already picked one up. It'll be coming out soon, and it will be the best kit on the market. Not my company, but I know it's coming. Learning how to drift in a car that has a ton of power is a handicap. Learning how to drift on an underpowered car will make you better, because you learn better car control, rather than compensating with the gas pedal.

If you have any questions on the S-Chassis let me know. I've been working on them since 2003, and still have my S14 (road race / time attack car). Since you already picked up an engine, I'll skip what I was going to say with that. My advice, is to keep the engine you picked up as stock as possible and learn the car before adding any big power mods. I would stick to reliability mods for now and dive hard into safety and suspension (and a good diff). Also, look into Fueled Racing for a JZ swap kit if you haven't already picked one up. It'll be coming out soon, and it will be the best kit on the market. Not my company, but I know it's coming. Learning how to drift in a car that has a ton of power is a handicap. Learning how to drift on an underpowered car will make you better, because you learn better car control, rather than compensating with the gas pedal.

Awesome, I really appreciate that! And that's the plan, going to run the engine as is with new injectors and potentially a standalone just for ease of tuning but I really don't want insane power right off the bat for the reasons you mentioned.

And I don't have a swap kit yet so I will check out Fueled Racing.

Archived