LegacyGT.com

Symptoms of bad head unit?

GEE-OTTO

Background:

2008 LGT 164k miles

Problem:

Bought it with no issues, but wanted to upgrade to BT and a more modern H/U. Bought a Grom BT kit, install was easy, installed same kit in my 09 LGT no issues. Only difference was my 09 LGT had a 206 HU vs a 204 HU.

The problem is the HU in my 08 LGT resets at random as if it forgets the SAT, AUX, and CD functions. FM radio works fine during this period.

Example:

Grom BT unit functions as intended, auto plays last audio source, connects quickly and functions with steering wheel or manual controls. Randomly after turning my car off and starting it back up, trip to grocery store, there is no connectivity and only the radio function works. Then upon turning the ignition off again and on again it will revert to normal operation. Could be 5 trips or 1 between these episodes.

Inspection:

Last time this happened I noticed the BT connection to my iPhone never drops. At first I thought the Grom is trash but after checking for the BT connection each time this happens I don’t think the Grom is to blame. Sent it back for a new one just to be safe and no change.

What worries me more is the HU losing he SAT and AUX functions while this “reset” is going on.

Ouestions:

Is this a sign the head unit is on the way out?

Have any of you had this problem with the Grom BT unit?

Is there anything I should check(12v source, ground, supplied Grom harness)?

Thanks in advance

Coincidentally my headunit is suffering some weirdness too but different symptoms.

I recently ditched my iSimpli Gateway for GROM ipd4. Have you encountered brief playback with intermittent cutting out? Not sure if I installed correctly given SAT connectivity. GROM has pretty crappy docs,

While I can’t solve your problem, hoping your install of BT4 can help me out. Thanks!

The installation paper is iffy at best :lol: the factory SAT to H/U harness has a female adapter that you would think works but you have to ditch that altogether the GROM harness.

My H/U will flicker sometimes as if the internal power supply or supplied voltage is being interrupted and it reverts to FM however it doesn't forget the programmed channels.

I took everything out over the weekend and reinstalled it making sure to seat all the connections and it did it twice while running errands yesterday :(

I also tried it with and without the ground cable attached and no change. For now i uninstalled the GROM to test it out if it functions properly either both GROM harnesses were faulty (very unlikely) or my HU can't handle the I/O of the GROM and isn't compatible.

Ill go full JDM Double DIN at that point. :cool:

Archived