LegacyGT.com

Decending garage door attacks 2018 Legacy bumper!

HI,:)

Mt new 2018 2.5 Legacy's bumper was attacked (scratched) by a descending garage door...OUCH.:mad:

2 questions:

1) What's the best scratch fix kit or other methodology, do you guys think would work for below scratch pix?

2) Do you know what they call the guys w/vans who park in hi traffic super market (other) parking lots who remove scratches, small dents, nicks etc? They are all-over-the-place-in-SC, where I used to live for many yrs.

These guys did incredible work & were affordable.

ouch.thumb.png.2b243a14730fdcfee3a69e2753037303.png

439778831_chainwhlklx.png.8c61fcf03c7a413cf88e12afdacedbf5.png

I'm sorry to hear. I garage both of my cars and worry about this happening, especially with 2 kids...

From the photo, it looks like the scratch is through the paint and primer and into the plastic bumper.

It all depends on how much you want to (or don't want to spend)

You could attempt to use a paint cleaner like Maguire's Step 1. That should clean it up around the edges and "lessen" the look of it.

Touch up paint will be very tricky as you may actually need a filler for the groove of the scratch.

Best bet for the best result is unfortunately a body shop. 2nd option may be one of those mobile repair guys.

Let us know what you go with and please update the post with photo and price, as I'm sure there are bunch of us that are curious and would benefit from this.

thanks and good luck

Guys,

Thanks for the quick useful responses. I probably will try the DIY method. If it doesn't look good, its off to the body shop unless I can locate one of those mobile repair guys. Lots of them in SC where I moved from. Very thin in NJ among other things.

PS: Are they generally called mobile repair guys. or are there other names? Asked around, no one seems to know who they are or what they do here.

Regards,

347616645_chainwhlklx.png.633ad594c80c293a68e33a642d851bfa.png

They are called PDR (paintless dent repair/ removal). typically for dents and dings but most of them also do touch up work. Call a few dealers close to you and see if they have someone that comes out to their lot.

Can't really tell from the picture. but if its just a paint scratch, you may be able to do a DIY touch up paint and clear coat. If it scratched into the PU and you have shavings, you'll need to remove those, fill, sand and then paint.

tornichoe,

Thanks for clearing up the PDR definition. I did some searching on Duck 'n Go & finally located a PDR Toms River NJ. They restore, touch up, remove dents from Classic cars.

I'm going to call them at 8:30 check them out. Will let you guys know the results.

Regards,

1721450546_chainwhlklx.png.ad9705588c08ce8742076c483ededf34.png

Guys,

You won't believe what 5 min + a little TLC did. Not finished yet but I think I can finish it with a paint pen & 2500 W/D sandpaper.

Am I on the right track as quotes for completed remove\paint bumper $350-400, plus messing with all that "eye sight" electronics.

Will post completed job.

Regards,

1418297550_5mintlc.thumb.jpg.4392cbf4ba43cd3ecd29f40fde448a79.jpg

455499255_chainwhlklx.png.6c18679076a82e408e56ccc02f20c328.png

Guys,

You won't believe what 5 min + a little TLC did. Not finished yet but I think I can finish it with a paint pen & 2500 W/D sandpaper.

That looks a lot better! If you end up throwing some touch up on there you may want to do a few passes of polish/wax to help blend in with the rest of the bumper and seal it up.

Hi,

ammcinnis:

Tech info about Subaru Legacy is thin; however Dealer indicated that sensors in the rear bumper looked to the rear sides to check for objects. This was confirmed by their body shop & an independent body shop. Also the sticker on the door jam alludes to it. See below:

I've also learned from other sources: WSJ, C&D, CR, NYT, & Forums that with the advancing of the 5 level AI-computerized newer autos; many "simpler" repair jobs because of complex alignment of all sensors will be costly.

That's exactly what I plan to do, maybe even use a little touch up with 2500 W/D sand paper. Planing to take my time. Will upload complete process with pix as I complete.

Regards,

628389768_yellowsecurity.JPG.2fd8b7459d9b561b4570766777bd1fb4.JPG

254287592_chainwhlklx.png.1500087e816bba57309f72408adddc8a.png

Tech info about Subaru Legacy is thin; however Dealer indicated that sensors in the rear bumper looked to the rear sides to check for objects. This was confirmed by their body shop & an independent body shop. Also the sticker on the door jam alludes to it.

There is plenty of "tech info" available, but you have to research it yourself. A good place to start is the Subaru Technical Information System web site.

The sensors under the rear bumper cover, below the tail lights (nowhere near your blemish), are part of the Subaru Rear Vehicle Detection (SRVD) system, which is a totally separate system and has nothing to do with EyeSight.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Archived