LegacyGT.com

Battery or Alternator issue at only 32k

Hi,

My 2015 Legacy 2.5i Limited is 2 1/2 years old and has 32k miles. It is a daily driver. The past 24 hours I noticed the car was a bit slow to crank at startup, and then today (after two errand trips) the battery died altogether. I was fortunately home and able to put a trickle charger on it. It now starts and I'll take it to my local dealer in the morning to have it looked at.

Wondering if anyone has seen battery failure so soon? Has anyone seen alternator failure where the alternator was not sufficiently charging the battery?

Hoping this is a simple issue of a short-lived OEM battery, but curious whether others have seen similar issues.

Car otherwise runs fine and has been rock-solid reliable.

Thanks!

Randy

Potomac, MD

Cold weather may be a factor, since your battery loses a lot of capacity when it is cold. Meaning this issue could have been present for awhile, but was hidden until the weather got colder and stayed cold.

There's always a small percentage of defective parts, but the most common cause of this type of problem is the battery is being slowly drained by something in the electrical system. For example, aftermarket alarms, remote starters, stereos, trunk light staying on, etc.

Your electrical system just needs to be checked out. There's simple tests that can be done for the battery and alternator. If they are healthy, you probably have the problem with a hidden power drain.

You are under warranty so just get Subaru to take care of it. Batteries can go bad in a year and then, again, last for 5...luck of the draw. Several have had bad batteries but, as @MilesA stated above, could be a combo of things including cold weather.

I got mine used a few months ago and wasn't sure how the battery was performing. When I got the normal service done, the dealer said the battery was fine. Few weeks later I was at an auto zone and I had the guy do the test and he said the battery was only half way charged and the alternator was good. Which to me was a bit strange coz I drove over a 100 miles the day before..

I do have the remote start and dash cam. But for it to be half way was a bit strange. I was already out of the 3yr 36k warranty, so didn't really bother taking it to the dealer. I've not had a problem yet with it not starting. Even after leaving it the whole weekend without running and it starts fine with the remote start on a freezing Monday morning. I got one of those portable jump start things for insurance, so I don't have to wait for the AAA guy :)

I'm guessing the dealer and autozone have different parameters for battery tests...

Since you are still under the warranty, I'd take to the dealer and have them test it.

I'm a few miles up the road in North Potomac. The battery in my son's '16 Crosstrek died late last week and we had AAA replace it. My 2015 Legacy 2.5i Limited with 30K miles died this morning at the Starbucks on Connecticut Ave. Fortunately, I was able to rest it for a while and it started again. I'd be curious to know what the dealer says. Thanks.

My car also died. The interesting question from Subaru was why I had not called for roadside assistance?

Either case, I had a dead battery, Bought a new Optima battery [which I like], and then went to the dealership. They heard my story, updated the ECM, and refunded the majority of the cost of the Optima. The battery may not be bad but the ECM might need to update.

Pardon my ignorance. What is the ECM update?

Engine control module

2017 Subaru Legacy Battery Technical Service Bulletins

TSB Number:11-174-17R

NHTSA Number:10117543

TSB Date:August 8, 2017

Date Added to File:September 13, 2017

Failing Component:Electrical System:Battery

Summary:

This bulletin announces the availability of reprogramming files to optimize the ecm and address the following customer concerns: * check engine light coming on (with DTC p05a0 stored in memory). * potential battery discharge (dead batter

Engine control module

2017 Subaru Legacy Battery Technical Service Bulletins

TSB Number:11-174-17R

NHTSA Number:10117543

TSB Date:August 8, 2017

Date Added to File:September 13, 2017

Failing Component:Electrical System:Battery

Summary:

This bulletin announces the availability of reprogramming files to optimize the ecm and address the following customer concerns: * check engine light coming on (with DTC p05a0 stored in memory). * potential battery discharge (dead batter

Guess you have to wait for the battery to die and the code to be stored... Will bring it up at the next service and see what they say.

Does anyone know if the TSBs are covered outside the 3yr 36k warranty/ in the extended warranty?

Does anyone know if the TSBs are covered outside the 3yr 36k warranty/ in the extended warranty?
Sometimes TSBs extend the warranty, other times they are completely separate from the warranty. Some TSBs may specify a mileage or time limit, others don't.

For instance, there was a TSB related to dashboard material deteriorating. Even though my car was a 2005 model, I just had to get it checked at the dealership before March 30 of this year. They covered it, so I have a new dashboard installed at no cost to me, twelve years after I bought the car.

Airbag problems, no time or mileage limits.

There was a wheel bearing TSB that extended your warranty to 8 years or 100K miles on rear wheel bearings only.

Update:

I took it to my local dealer and they did perform the ECM update according to the TSB (11-174-17R). Apparently the issue corrected via the software update is that the battery is not being sufficiently charged by the alternator during normal operation, so over time the battery drains and then fails to start. It was covered under warranty and car started/ran fine today (so far!).

Thanks to all for weighing in and hope this helps others :)

Randy

Update:

I took it to my local dealer and they did perform the ECM update according to the TSB (11-174-17R). Apparently the issue corrected via the software update is that the battery is not being sufficiently charged by the alternator during normal operation, so over time the battery drains and then fails to start. It was covered under warranty and car started/ran fine today (so far!).

Thanks to all for weighing in and hope this helps others :)

Randy

Thanks for the update.

Now it makes sense why the auto zone guy said that my battery was only half way charged. Going have the dealer look at it the next time I go in for an oil change.

• 1 month later...

Same thing happened to my Legacy 2015, 2.5, 66000kms

died twice this summer with just radio on while washing

dealer said nothing wrong with the battery. at christmas's battery died again even thou they did the update two weeks before. they just replaced the battery , no charge:

^^^ Thanks Jacques45 and welcome to the forum!

they just replaced the battery , no charge:

I'm assuming you mean there was no cost to you for the battery, not that the battery wouldn't charge ;)

Edited by waldguy

I'm guessing the dealer and autozone have different parameters for battery tests...

I know this is a couple months old, but I had to reachback to say this:

Comparing a Subaru technician at your dealership to the ape at Autozone is about the equivalent of comparing your doctor to the cashier at CVS. Actually, the cashier at CVS would be closer to being a doctor than the autozone drone would to being an automotive technician.

Had starting issue on 2015 Legacy, Interstate batteries tested the battery, and noticed that with the car running, and headlights on, the battery was putting out 14.2 volts. With the headlights off, the battery dropped to 10 / 11 volts. Subaru said alternator had to be replaced, and applied the update, but I still notice the same issue, with headlights On / Off.

I know this is a couple months old, but I had to reachback to say this:

Comparing a Subaru technician at your dealership to the ape at Autozone is about the equivalent of comparing your doctor to the cashier at CVS. Actually, the cashier at CVS would be closer to being a doctor than the autozone drone would to being an automotive technician.

Well, the ape at autozone just plugs in the "battery testing device" that corporate sends. He looks at the numbers/ lights it displays and spits out a canned answer.

I don't think the scenario at the dealer will be any different when you take it there for them to test the battery. Now if you go back to the same dealer and say that you had a dead battery and you've already been there a few times, then the real tech will come look at what the issue is.

Well, the ape at autozone just plugs in the "battery testing device" that corporate sends. He looks at the numbers/ lights it displays and spits out a canned answer.

I don't think the scenario at the dealer will be any different when you take it there for them to test the battery. Now if you go back to the same dealer and say that you had a dead battery and you've already been there a few times, then the real tech will come look at what the issue is.

OK, chief. :rolleyes:

My girlfriend has a 2015 Subaru Legacy was cranking slow in cold weather I think this is a problem that Subaru has they tried to save a bunch of money on batteries by putting a 356 cold crank amp battery in the car. That might be good for a lawn mower but not for a car I think they really dropped the ball on this one. Also right rear wheel bearing has been going out since car was new I see that is another big problem they have.

We went to AutoZone and put a Duralast Gold 640 cold cranking amp battery in the car and it cranks over better than it ever has. Problem was solved by putting a proper size battery in the car.

Edited by ammcinnis