LegacyGT.com

Battery or Alternator issue at only 32k

Had starting issue on 2015 Legacy, Interstate batteries tested the battery, and noticed that with the car running, and headlights on, the battery was putting out 14.2 volts. With the headlights off, the battery dropped to 10 / 11 volts. Subaru said alternator had to be replaced, and applied the update, but I still notice the same issue, with headlights On / Off.

Hi, new member here. I found this forum when searching for this exact same problem. My battery died twice (original on a 2015 Legacy Premium 2.5i). I tested the alternator and it was putting out between 10 and 11 volts when the headlights and all accessories are off. Once I turn the headlights or AC on, the alternator kicked up to 14.1 - 14.3 volts. I assumed the alternator was bad and replaced it along with the battery and serpentine.

Now with the new battery and alternator when the headlights and accessories are off, the alternator is putting out 12.6 volts. As soon as you turn on the headlights or AC, it kicks up to 14.2. I've read about this ECM update on TSB 11-174-17R. Does anyone know if this will solve the issue or does anyone know of anything else I could try?

Thanks so much!!!!

I've read about this ECM update on TSB 11-174-17R. Does anyone know if this will solve the issue or does anyone know of anything else I could try?

You're on the right track, but what you want is TSB 11-176-17, "Reprogramming to Optimize ECM for Improved Battery Life," which also incorporates the earlier TSB 11-174-17R.

You will probably have to pay to have a Subaru dealer install this firmware update, but since it's ECM firmware there is a chance it may still be covered under the 80,000 mile Federal emissions warranty. Either way, it's well worth it. I have had it applied to both our 2015 Legacy 2.5 and 2016 Outback 2.5.

See: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10125883-9999.pdf

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

You're on the right track, but what you want is TSB 11-176-17, "Reprogramming to Optimize ECM for Improved Battery Life," which also incorporates the earlier TSB 11-174-17R.

You will probably have to pay to have a Subaru dealer install this firmware update, but since it's ECM firmware there is a chance it may still be covered under the 80,000 mile Federal emissions warranty. Either way, it's well worth it. I have had it applied to both our 2015 Legacy 2.5 and 2016 Outback 2.5.

Thanks for the info, at the dealership now. Requested the update but they won't do it until after they perform an "inspection" for $99 bucks. I'll post results.

Dealer did the update to the ECM. The problem is still occurring but now its different. Now, when driving with no headlights or AC etc. the voltage will stay at 14.2 when I am not giving it throttle. As soon as I give it throttle, it will drop to 12.6. Then when I parked and let it idle with no lights etc. it dropped to 12.6 and the battery light came on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know I can just drive around at all times with the headlights on as a temporary workaround, but this is actually my wife's car who uses it for her job and drives a lot.

Thanks!

My 2016 legacy is on it's forth OEM battery in 58K miles, all replaced under warranty. You should see what they like one year later. You would think they were in the car for years.

The current one is starting to show signs of failure at the magic number of being just a few weeks over 1 year old ugh.

Dealer did the update to the ECM. The problem is still occurring but now its different. Now, when driving with no headlights or AC etc. the voltage will stay at 14.2 when I am not giving it throttle. As soon as I give it throttle, it will drop to 12.6. Then when I parked and let it idle with no lights etc. it dropped to 12.6 and the battery light came on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know I can just drive around at all times with the headlights on as a temporary workaround, but this is actually my wife's car who uses it for her job and drives a lot.

Thanks!

So, took it back to the dealer. They diagnosed it as (another) bad alternator. More specifically as a bad voltage regulator in the alternator. I just got another alternator from advanced and put it in. So far, so good. I cannot recreate the issue and it seems to be charging all the time when the car is running regardless of if the headlights are on or anthing. Fingers crossed.