LegacyGT.com

Dummies guide for error codes?

My '05 Legacy GT is throwing P0171 and P2009 codes at me with noticeable performance issues. I know there's a wealth of information on here (I recently checked out the 'vacation pix') and I'm handy but I'm by no means an experienced mechanic.

Anywhere on here that has a "Dummies Guide to CEL Codes"? I find myself both spending hours poring through the forum as well as trying to understand the more advanced manuals and hoping there's a reference that is a simple step-by-step set of instructions for the amateur DIY'er.

I'd hate to take it in to the mechanic if it's something I can do myself but also since it's my daily driver I don't have the luxury of a ton of time (with work and a family) digging deep into this stuff.

There's no Dummies guide but I'm leaning towards the tgv being bad on bank 1. One code is a manifold runner code and the other is a lean code. Both are related and you will want to chase after the p2009. If the tgv seized up it will cause these codes. It could also be an electrical issue so you'll have to find a testing procedure for the tgv.

Testing procedure in the FSM refer to EN(H4SO U5)(diag)-305.

As posted above, the tumble generator valve on the passenger side is probably the root cause. The ones close to the turbo are more likely to have issues (due to heat). There is a sensor and a small motor for the TGV on each side. The valve can stick, the sensor or motor can go bad, the wiring to either sensor or motor could be faulty.

It would be nice to have a brief guide to the codes as a sticky. One of the problems with the forum is good information is spread all over the place. Troubleshooting problems is not always a connect-the-dots operation, though. A certain amount of experience and mechanical/electrical aptitude is needed. Maybe get a more experienced friend to help.

Something else you can try. Let the car warm up, then shut her down and restart the engine warm. That may temporarily clear the problem if the TGVs are sticking.

do a search for the code on google.

Come on don't you know how to do that for anything.

https://www.google.com/search?q=P0171&oq=P0171&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5384j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived