LegacyGT.com

Please help — oil in exhaust pipes

Ok so about ~7,000 miles ago I blew my turbo on my 05 Legacy Wagon, the car had about 76k miles on it. Got it replaced with the same stock turbo and did an oil flush and all was well. Got my oil changed about 3k miles after that and now I just changed my oil yesterday. Took my car to my local subaru dealership and my buddy Hunter was working there and he said my oil was “very watery” and looked almost like coffee but it didnt look milky or smell like gas so we suspected a change in temp bc I used full synthetic.

So today I was driving home and I stopped my car to look at a car with my buddy, he wanted to see me rev my car so i did and I noticed a slight white smoke but nothing crazy, I suspected the cold weather bc it’s quite chilly out now. I for safe measure looked in the pipe and ran my finger and it was covered in oil. I’ve never seen that in an exhaust pipe before and I am super concerned. My car is running fine its not losing power or knocking, temps are fine and oil levels also looked ok. I dont know if this is common or something is going on. The dealership did tell me there was a slight leak in my engine but the didnt know where it was from because it was a minor leak but nothing crazy.

I’m suspecting it’s comming from the turbo being replaced and the oil lines but I am not sure. Again the oil isn’t burning its just in the pipes. If ANYBODY could help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks Guys!!!

You may want to start with the PCV assembly. If the PCV was stuck closed, your engine would collect water condensation in the oil. This also causes pressure to build up in the crankcase that can blow out oil seals, among other things.

The PCV assembly consists of several hoses and the PCV itself. It costs around $30-35 and requires R/R the intercooler to get to it.

Also, turbo failure is very bad news as I'm sure you know. Did you read the turbo failure FAQ in the sticky posts section?

The turbo oil supply line is supposed to have a restricting orifice in it so that too much oil does not go to the turbo. When your turbo was replaced, is it possible the oil supply line was changed?

You may want to start with the PCV assembly. If the PCV was stuck closed, your engine would collect water condensation in the oil. This also causes pressure to build up in the crankcase that can blow out oil seals, among other things.

The PCV assembly consists of several hoses and the PCV itself. It costs around $30-35 and requires R/R the intercooler to get to it.

Also, turbo failure is very bad news as I'm sure you know. Did you read the turbo failure FAQ in the sticky posts section?

The turbo oil supply line is supposed to have a restricting orifice in it so that too much oil does not go to the turbo. When your turbo was replaced, is it possible the oil supply line was changed?

I read up on the turbo fail wiki, we cleaned pretty much everything we could without ripping the motor out and the lines I believe were not replaced but reused from the old turbo. We did a whole oil flush and used very high synthetic to make sure if anything was stuck in the engine it would flush it out. I never had an issue up until this point. I’ll start to take a look at the PCV but I just want to make sure my car is safe to drive and use becuase i’m such a busy guy im always around and about in my car. Can’t afford to beat it or be without it. Like I said its not burning the oil just collecting it which is why i’m confused. Thanks man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When your turbo went did the oil seals go bad on the turbine side? It very well could be residual oil still in the exhaust especially if it made it all the way back to the tips as those don't get super hot to be able to burn the oil off.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

When your turbo went did the oil seals go bad on the turbine side? It very well could be residual oil still in the exhaust especially if it made it all the way back to the tips as those don't get super hot to be able to burn the oil off.

Never thought of that, It could be the case because the oil in the pipe is not hot at all its just pooled in there.

Update: I checked my pipes this morning and it was dry as could be. Drove my car 2 minuets and itnwas wet again. I then drove to work and it was about a 20 minuete drive and I drove it very light. Checked my pipes after I got here and it was dry. This is leading me to believe its just dirty exhaust piping mixing with condensed water because there is no way oil would evaporate that quick. Does this soud like a vaild reasoning? I thought i’d put it out there. Thanks guys!

Archived