LegacyGT.com

has anything on the 06 changed to improve side impact safety?

crex

According to the IIHS website, the 2006 Legacy has this noted next to it "Design changes underway; to be tested in late 2005. Rank on this summary page based on 2005 model's ratings." So, it appears that Subaru will/has made changes to the 2006 design to improve ratings. Most likely it will be structural and won't apply retroactively to the 2005 cars, unlike the side airbag recall.

They have strengthened the B-pillar and changed the front side impact airbags.

See: http://www.subaru.ca/interface/Subaru02/WebPage.asp?range=Legacy&ModelYear=2006&WebPageID=5740&OwnerID=&WebSiteID=282

"With six airbags - including enhanced front side-impact airbags for 2006 - an advanced ring-shaped reinforcement frame with a newly strengthened B-pillar, passive safety head restraints and seatbelts featuring load limiters and pretensioners, the Legacy offers the exceptional safety features expected of a Subaru."

Good info! But I was expecting no less. I'm sure Subaru was caught off gaurd with some of the results of the 2005 side impact. Since it's a repeatable and controlled test, it's not too difficult to make some tweaks to improve scores.

Ken

Good info! But I was expecting no less. I'm sure Subaru was caught off gaurd with some of the results of the 2005 side impact. Since it's a repeatable and controlled test, it's not too difficult to make some tweaks to improve scores.

Ken

For the reasons you've given, I'm sure that FHI engineers were stunned last year when the 2005 Legacy failed to achieve top marks on the IIHS side-impact test on either of two different cars.

']For the reasons you've given' date=' I'm sure that FHI engineers were stunned last year when the 2005 Legacy failed to achieve top marks on the IIHS side-impact test on either of two different cars.[/quote']

What's more stunning is to be caught off guard in a test that is well known and which does not change from a year to year. They should have done their homework on 2005 model and made it strong enough to pass the test. Seems like they simply dropped the ball.

What's more stunning is to be caught off guard in a test that is well known and which does not change from a year to year. They should have done their homework on 2005 model and made it strong enough to pass the test. Seems like they simply dropped the ball.

They did but not in this country.

US crash tests set the impact beam higher because we live in SUV land. In japan the 2005 passed with flying colors.

They did but not in this country.

US crash tests set the impact beam higher because we live in SUV land. In japan the 2005 passed with flying colors.

Well, the Legacys that are sold here are built in this country in Indiana. So why would they test for a different country?? Doesn't make sense, does it? I think they figured that they would get away with it and when they did not, they had to fix it. Since it is a safety issue, I think they should fix it on '05 model as well.

Have a chance to buy an 05 GT LMT w/ 7500 miles for $21,900. Seems like a good price but I question the saftey of the car. I read some of the report and it seems injuries and fatlities have risen signifcantly in recent years due to side impacts.

Have a chance to buy an 05 GT LMT w/ 7500 miles for $21,900. Seems like a good price but I question the saftey of the car. I read some of the report and it seems injuries and fatlities have risen signifcantly in recent years due to side impacts.

Legacy is a pretty safe car especially when compared to many others. The side impact isn't stellar but it isn't horrible, either.

I just think that since it is a safety issue, it makes sense for Subaru to correct as many short-comings in the design of '05 model as they can, especially given that a major part of changes for '06 model are in the design of side air bags which are changeable.

Okay Kids realise this now..

SUBARU IS NOT NOW OR WILL EVER REPLACE THE AIRBAGS IN YOUR 05 SIMPLY BECAUSE THE 06'S ARE BETTER.

IF YOU HONESTLY THINK THEY SHOULD I'D LIKE YOU TO GO OUT, BUY ANY CAR FROM THE 1970'S AND DEMAND THAT THE MAKER BRING IT UP TO TODAYS SAFTEY STANDARDS ON THEIR DIME.

IBTQUITBEINGSTUPIDL

Sorry for insulting your intelligence.

Here's an idea, why don't you take your car with your kids and pull out in front of an SUV seconds before it crosses your path and get back to mke with the outcome.

Those purchased 05's days before the 06's arrived have a right to be upset and a right to demand something be done. I would be willing to bet Subaru was aware of this issue a long time ago.

Archived