LegacyGT.com

I need a sanity check, please

So, i ordered two new cam position sensors and finally had some time today to swap them out. Looking at my engine, it looked like the cam position sensors were toward the firewall as opposed to the front of the block by the cam gears. I pulled the driver's side one out and it looks nothing like the one that i ordered. I looked at p121 of the vacay pics and yeah, i definitely dont have a cam position sensor in that location. in the attached picture, the top is the one i pulled from the engine, the bottom is the one i ordered.

what gives?!?

539336942_camsensor.thumb.jpg.c0fe75e2740104fcd9e2deb5065b6bc3.jpg

now i feel stupid, it's located directly underneath that TGV motor. i'm such an idiot. it's times like this that i really feel like a noob and I've been turning wrenches for almost 20 years (ASE certified for the past three years).

you guys rock!

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You removed a small motor, a TGV motor to be exact.

The cam position sensors are up front, sensing the cam position by monitoring the cam gears.

Cam position sensors are at the back on the DOHC motors. Passenger side sensor tends to fail first, probably from getting roasted by being close to the turbo.

Thanks guys. Replaced both, so far no codes other than a misfire event on cyl1

When my passenger side cam sensor started to fail, it would do this really fun thing where I'd completely lose spark on all cylinders for a few seconds. Would totally be enough to stall the car if it wasn't in gear. When it would cut out at full throttle, it felt like the car crashed into a wall. Wouldn't throw a code for it, either.

After a week of that it would take 1 or 2 tries to start, and I finally got a CEL for it.

hey Max,

in your top picture, you have a vac line taped up (driver side, forward toward the timing belt). any idea what the name of the hose is or the part number for it? I'd like to replace mine but don't have any idea what it's called.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived