LegacyGT.com

Considering next year's Legacy, or wait for the redesign?

Pilot1226

Hi all,

I'm on my second Subaru, a 2011 Outback 2.5 Limited. My wife formerly owned an 09 Legacy 2.5 Limited, and my car quickly became the family car after our kids were born starting in 2011 (we bought the OB with the kids in mind)... Flash forward a couple of years, and my wife's Legacy was traded in and she now drives a third-row SUV. My car no longer has to be the family car, and essentially I'm just driving myself around, on occasion a longer trip, but nothing that requires the car packed to the gills, so to speak.

I am in the beginning stages of shopping around. I'm all over from another Outback, to a Crosstrek, to a Forester, and Legacy. My wife's Legacy was an absolute blast to drive. I'm ruling out the Crosstrek because I think it's too small for what I'm looking for, and I'm ruling out the Forester because I think I'd rather stay lower to the ground.

I think I want to be done with my Outback by the time the CVT warranty enhancement expires, which is in about another 20k miles - or just about 2 years for my driving. I just don't want to be dealing with a ticking time bomb. I also don't want to have to deal with a $1000 timing belt/water pump service.

I'm really digging this new 2018 Legacy. I have a few concerns that I'm wondering if the forum can address.

First, I would definitely want EyeSight and I would want the 3.6R trim. While the 2.5 is adequate, I personally am more comfortable with the 3.6.

1. How's the tires/rims combo? We had some issues with the 09 Legacy hitting potholes and damaging the rims and tire sidewalls on more than one occasion. I have not had a single issue with my Outback, so I'm wondering if it's because of the profile design of the tires.

2. How's the tuning and expected longevity of the CVT? My OB has one of the first CVT's that seem to have torque converter issues and valve body issues going down the road; Subaru issued a TSB to extend the warranty on the transmission to 10y/100k.

3. How's the people space in the back? I will have two kids in car seats in the back, I'm wondering if I can fit someone in between them in the middle seat. Presently, my 11 OB is so tight I can't put my arms down to my sides and I have to put them behind the seat.

4. Does it make sense to try and wait for the MY 2020 redesign to the Gen7 for the global platform? I know I run the risk of losing the ability to buy the EZ36D in the 3.6R trim and it may become a FB24DIT that's supposed to go into the Ascent or FB20DIT that's in the Forester XT.

I'm hoping this car can be passed down to my son in about 10 years when he starts learning how to drive.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Waiting for the 2020 Subarus to come out as there has been nothing to replace my current 2005 Legacy with something better.

I have a bad feeling I'm going to be disappointed. The styling looks fantastic but they could easily stuff the engine & transmission options.

You know you're bumping a year old post, right? Pilot1226 was posting about 2 threads a week on this topic for a while. ;)

That doesn't make his point any less valid... It is pretty rediculous the way these manufacturers are reducing the options that drivers care about and making the driving experience less engaging and frankly just dull.

We should be seeing the Outback and Legacy getting the new Subaru Global Platform next year. Subaru has been staggering the release of it for each model. Impreza and Forester are on it now, Legacy and Outback are next, then WRX/STI after that.

• 3 weeks later...

Subaru needs to be careful going forward. What we have is a whole range of REALLY boring cars to drive, a huge void with nothing in it then the REALLY expensive sports cars.

Subaru is currently one of the few manufactures in that "Void" as far as I'm concerned with cars like the WRX and STi.

Every time I come to buy a new car, the options for me are reducing and getting more and more expensive.

My hope is that Subaru will smash it out of the park with the new designs.

Subaru has been uninspiring for a while. You can see how little they've been trying with the WRX and STI. The EJ257 is 15 years old and barely makes more power than when it came out. They keep throwing out the same stuff with no changes and people keep buying it up and paying a premium for it.

Subaru needs to be careful going forward. What we have is a whole range of REALLY boring cars to drive, a huge void with nothing in it then the REALLY expensive sports cars.

Subaru is currently one of the few manufactures in that "Void" as far as I'm concerned with cars like the WRX and STi.

Every time I come to buy a new car, the options for me are reducing and getting more and more expensive.

My hope is that Subaru will smash it out of the park with the new designs.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Keep dreaming

Subaru has been uninspiring for a while. You can see how little they've been trying with the WRX and STI. The EJ257 is 15 years old and barely makes more power than when it came out. They keep throwing out the same stuff with no changes and people keep buying it up and paying a premium for it.

This. The WRX and STI still sell pretty well, and Subaru's sales are off the charts in the other categories and sales/profits are up. Clearly, they're missing the boat because a few nerds here want luxury/sports cars but aren't willing to fork out the money for the cars that actually exist in that segment. :icon_roll

hate to break this to you but Subaru is not the only one lacking in engine design...

Honda's J series has been around for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time and now it takes 3.5L to make 276HP and 3.7L to make 300 so yeah. The J series 3.2L in the Type S was making 248hp (adjusted to the new 2004 standard) way back in 2000....

the problem is ever tightening regulations/safety standards that come at the expense of fun to drive cars...

I am not looking forward to direct injection as that brings up it's own very expensive to maintain can of worms...

We have safety standards but no emissions laws in this country to comply to.

So in effect Subaru could go nuts and give us 350-400Hp in a Subaru STi with a decent engine.

The current STi is NZD$65,000 here new so as long as they keep it under $100K which is A LOT of room to move, its still going to have a cult following.

The options beyond this are in the hundreds of thousands and many are just not suitable for our roads.

We already get specific country builds. Typically they are of a much lower spec than the JDM versions and hence there are so many used imports over here. The JDM version would simply be to expensive over here, its the same with the JDM Toyota MR2 Turbo I have owned for 20 years now, they never bought a single one into the country as it would have had a price tag of $75K back in 1990. The sold like ONE new or two NA versions for $56K.

Things would be different if Subaru produced a limited edition car again, that is a different story now the STi has such a long standing history.

I think a valid point that gets lost in all of this is how much the segment that includes the WRX/STI hasn't really evolved as a whole. Faulting Subaru for concentrating on their bland styling and boring driving, yet massively popular lineups is kind of short sighted. If it wasn't for the masses buying the vanilla cars there would be no capital to be able to produce/engineer the fun ones at an affordable price.

... the segment that includes the WRX/STI hasn't really evolved as a whole.

But just think of all the Econo-Rockets we can still buy today! Like the Eclipse, the EVO, Neon/Dart SRT-4, MazdaSpeed 3, Focus RS/ST, Cobalt SS! Oh ...

About all that's left is the Golf R32 and the Civic R. Because that segment is just SO IN DEMAND! :lol:

I'd forgotten I'd created this thread over a year ago. I ended up putting down money for a factory order of a 2019 Forester Limited with package 32. Very excited for it, thought long and hard about the zoom zoom engine option, but didn't want to be in the Outback or Legacy form factor (rear seats in the Leggy were a little too small in terms of head room, and I wanted to be "up higher" in terms of seating because of some back issues I'm working through, so the Forester and Ascent were at the top of my list.)

Archived