LegacyGT.com

Limited climate control

Another thing I have noticed on the GT compared to the Outback is the less responsive climate control. I set it to the same setting as I always do in the Outback, but the GT likes to stay at a lower fan speed in Auto. Anyone ran into this issue before? I was thinking maybe the temp sensor on the dash may need blown out with canned air. I have considered swapping out the controller unit in the dash since they are identical, but that may be more work than it's worth.

Also, the GT was not driven much in the last 6 months, so maybe I need to give it a few more days.

Does the Auto setting for the headlights work to turn the headlights on and off automatically based on darkness/light? If it does not, then the car will need the TSB performed on the sun load sensor.

You know, on my way to work this morning I turned the headlights to auto accidently (don't really use that feature) and the lights turned off if I remember correctly. I'll have to check it at lunch.

I went out and laid a pair of gloves over the sun sensor, and the auto lights will not come on. I will try it again in the garage after work where it will be much darker.

Would this affect the climate control as well?

Would this affect the climate control as well?

Yes. That sensor on top of the dash is a Sun Load Sensor. It is used by the climate control AND the auto headlight feature. It tells the climate control to ramp up the fan based on how bright the sun is, and in turn helps cool the inside of the car down quicker if you are in direct sun. This would most definitely be your issue with the weak fan speed and it not blowing enough when you think it should be to quickly bring the cabin temp down to what you have set.

There was a TSB issued by Subaru where a resistor is soldered in-line on one of the wires going to (or coming from) it. You'll need the dealer to perform the TSB.

Yup, that's the one.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/anyone-seen-tsb-12-136-12-automatic-headlight-sensor-repair-195473.html

Not exactly sure if they replace the sensor and then install the resistor, or if you can just fix the existing one with a resistor. It happened 2x on my car. My original one was dead from the factory, they replaced it literally 2 weeks before the TSB came out and that one lasted for less than a year. I then had the TSB performed and it's been fine for almost 5 years.

Nope, there are two sensors on the mirror itself (front and back), and it dims based on the difference in light intensity between the two. There could be a way to adjust the sensitivity, although I've never tried to mess with mine.

I might be able to do you one better- I'm seeing the sensor at $74.64 and the harness at $16.47 (plus $7.38 shipping to WI) through subarugenuineparts.com. My sensor has never worked either, and somehow the fact that it affects the HVAC system never stuck with me until now. Looks like I found my next car-related purchase...

It may be if you're under warranty, but if you're outside the warranty period, generally not. A TSB is more of a reference for the dealership service department so that if they come up against a known issue, they have instructions on how to diagnose and fix the problem.

Would that sensor also affect the auto dimming rear view mirror?

I noticed it either doesn’t dim or is slow to dim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tested the mirror last night and it seems to be working. We will see how it does during our vacation this week.

On a side note. I checked the spare tire pressure...20lbs [emoji15]. Looks like it has never touched the ground. Aired it back up last night. That would have made for a bad trip if we get a flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swapped the mirror and the sun sensor. Everything is now working as it should. I did feel like I was betraying the Outback a bit.

Whoever buys it will still get a clean well maintained Subaru, even if it does need the sensor.

Archived