LegacyGT.com

power seat is stuck back

'05 outback. The drivers power seat switch for forward-back movement always would be testy. Moving back wasn't a problem. Moving forward required wiggling the switch a few times. I never bothered fixing.

We just took the wagon to the dealer for the airbag recall. The service guy moved the seat all the way back. Now the seat won't go forward. I reached under, the motor in front is hot. I'm assuming

1) that's the forward-back motor

2) the switch is stuck in "backwards" mode

I google'd for a fuse, I pulled SB-4 out from the engine compartment. I assume

3) that's the fuse to stop power to that motor

How do I move the seat forward now? Do I need to replace the switch? Can I remove the switch with the seat all the way back?

:spin:

Thanks

Don't know how the switch is removed but if I were in your shoes I'd be looking for a wire diagram and a 12vdc source.

Unplug the seat power, find the wires that power the forward/back seat motor and jump 12v to the appropriate wires.

Update:

I wanted to take the whole seat out so I could comfortably work on the whole system. But since the seat was all the way back, the rear bolts holding the seat to the floor were not accessible. I got to the switch and was able to take it apart. I also have an '05 Legacy with the same switch so I tried that and nothing changed. I tried the same switch again, the motor would turn but with a clicking - like a gear was skipping. I took a socket to the nut of the worm screw(not sure if that's the right term?). The door side would move but, the shifter side nut would come loose. I took the cable out of the motor and hooked it up to a drill, used that and a socket on the nut. I managed to move the chair into a position so that it's drivable!

So it sounds like the worm gear is trashed on one if not both sides. and the motor might also be toast. Is it cheaper to try to repair\replace all of that or just get a used powered seat?

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to replace the motors and track that make the drivers seat go back and forth.

1) Will a Forester seat bottom fit on an Outback\Legacy? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-SUBARU-FORESTER-FRONT-LEFT-DRIVER-POWER-SEAT-TRACK-FRAME-W-MOTOR-ASSY-OEM/122393278590?hash=item1c7f35387e:g:9KEAAOSwTuJYxNVw&vxp=mtr

2) I sometimes see tan seats for sale in here. How hard is it to replace the cushions and covers?

Thanks,

Brian

I have a similar problem with mine. I thought the seat adjustment switch might have become sporadic due to some liquid, such as a soft drink, being spilled. I took some contact cleaner and sprayed it into the switch (as best I could) and that seemed to help a little bit but it's still troublesome. I think I'll need to disassemble it to properly correct it (assuming that is the issue)

I have a similar problem with mine. I thought the seat adjustment switch might have become sporadic due to some liquid, such as a soft drink, being spilled. I took some contact cleaner and sprayed it into the switch (as best I could) and that seemed to help a little bit but it's still troublesome. I think I'll need to disassemble it to properly correct it (assuming that is the issue)

Good thought. Your's might be a switch problem.

It's definitely not the switch for me. I a) took the whole switch apart and cleaned everything and b) replaced the switch with a known good working one. Both cases the motor would jam or skip.

Gear on end of the motor is crashed. I'll bet if you open the end, you'll find plastic shavings inside. It could have happened because of a coin stuck in the track and attempting to move the seat. I've seen it on a lot of other seats, just not an LGT seat up until this point.

Archived