LegacyGT.com

Possible YNANSB - thoughts?

Hi All,

Since I've owned my 2010 LGT it has burned some oil. Typically, to the tune of about or just under a quart per oil change on 4k OCI. I am using Rotella T6 5w-40 and check the oil fairly often. I checked it about ~1000 miles ago and it was about half a quart low. No big deal, I topped it off as this was within the spectrum of my typical consumption.

However, 2 days ago when leaving for work, the oil level light came on. I pulled off to check and was right about at the L on the dipstick. I added oil back in and it took right about a quart - maybe a bit more. So that would be about a quart in 1000 miles.

I am not leaking a drop of oil or any other fluids according to the driveway and the car has 101k miles. Within 2 days of filling back up to the F, it appears to be about a quarter of a quart low. I'm going to drive my other car and get this car up in the air this weekend to see if I'm missing anything.

So, is there anything in particular (other than leaks) that I should check for? And what should I look to if INANSB? Cost is a definite factor but I'd rather do it right if I need to perform major repairs. As is, the engine is completely stock other than a dryflow filter.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Since I've owned my 2010 LGT it has burned some oil. Typically, to the tune of about or just under a quart per oil change on 4k OCI. I am using Rotella T6 5w-40 and check the oil fairly often. I checked it about ~1000 miles ago and it was about half a quart low. No big deal, I topped it off as this was within the spectrum of my typical consumption.

However, 2 days ago when leaving for work, the oil level light came on. I pulled off to check and was right about at the L on the dipstick. I added oil back in and it took right about a quart - maybe a bit more. So that would be about a quart in 1000 miles.

I am not leaking a drop of oil or any other fluids according to the driveway and the car has 101k miles. Within 2 days of filling back up to the F, it appears to be about a quarter of a quart low. I'm going to drive my other car and get this car up in the air this weekend to see if I'm missing anything.

So, is there anything in particular (other than leaks) that I should check for? And what should I look to if INANSB? Cost is a definite factor but I'd rather do it right if I need to perform major repairs. As is, the engine is completely stock other than a dryflow filter.

Thanks!

A leakdown test. And check the turbo compressor and charge pipe for oil there. Also, you might look I to the pcv valve to make sure it isn't dirty or clogged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

^:whore:

If the rings are fine, then either the pcv valve is to blame or the turbo seals are failing. So yeah, you could 'easily' check the throttle body hose to see how much oil there is in there. There should be just a light oil film.

Also, are you sure your passenger valve cover is not leaking?

Yeah, I realize that you had a fifth gen after I posted. Fourth gens have the uppipe sitting right next to the passenger side valve cover. Most likely due to the generated heat, that valve cover gasket is prone to fail and leaks oil. Happens to lots of people (including me :mad:).

I haven't had a chance to investigate as I had hoped. I have a new PCV valve that I've had for some time so I am definitely going to check the current (probably original) and replace it either way. Beyond that, I plan on doing on leakdown test. I'm going out of the country in a week so it may be a while before I know for sure.

Archived