LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy GT Rattle when crusing

I am not sure if this is a common issue or if it is an issue?

I have recently bought a used 2008 legacy GT 5MT, and I am noticing a weird sound when I drive around 50km/h and RPM around or below 3k. the sound only happen when I press on the gas, it is very clear on the third and fourth gear. When I release the gas it disappears right away.

The sound is like a fan or a belt or something rotating. I own a regular 2006 legacy and I do not have this sound on it.

I thought it is the turbo, but thinking about it, the turbo is running all the time so sound should stay on.

I tried to drive around 50km/h and changed to neutral then pressed gas, the sound did not happen, so I guess it only happen when the gear is engaged.

If there is a fault with the transmission, then sound should stay on with or without pressing the gas.

i feel like the sound is air coming out of something when I press the gas..

Let me know what you think, or if you need more details.

Thank you for your help

Have you noticed any loss of power? It's fairly common to have mild boost leaks at the intercooler connection and throttle body. Sometimes the intercooler itself will develop a leak at the end tanks. Check and see that everything in that area is secure. Note you won't hear this noise until the engine is under load and going into boost. It may be difficult to reproduce by just revving the engine with the car stationary.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I do not think there is loss of power, i bought the car like this, so I do not know if the car is more powerful than what I have now. The car drives normal and it is very fast compared to my other regular legacy.

As you said the sound comes with the engine is under load and going into boost, once the boost kicks in the sound disappears or changes.

I feel like the sound is normal, but I want to make sure if other ppl have this.

I will take another look to see if everything is secured, but I did not notice any leaks (liquid) on the car.

Yes I tried to rev the car while it is stopped, but I was not able to hear the sound and as I mentioned on the post while driving I shifted to neutral and hit the gas and there was no sound. It only happen when gear is engaged and low rpm.

Guessing you may be lucky and its not the turbo, seems like you driven it a lot since the sound. Normally once the turbo goes you don't drive very far...

You may need to do a boost leak test. https://www.google.com/search?q=boost+leak+test+subaru&oq=boost+leak+test+subaru&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i22i30k1l3.40307.42522.0.43789.7.7.0.0.0.0.260.1124.0j2j3.5.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.5.1122....0.-abqxImn-Gc

Thou is has been a week almost two that no one has come on here with your type story...Hey, "I just bought the car and now the turbo is blown"...happens about once a week.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I drive the car everyday, and it drives amazing with lots of power compared to other non turbo legacy I have.

I just want to know why this sound is coming, it is not a hissing sound, it sounds like something rotating.

If there is a turbo leak, would the turbo still work? the sound is loud enough for me to hear while driving, so that would mean there is a big leak I guess.

Did anyone try the torque app, the boost gauge on it never went higher than 7 psi, is that normal? or is it just the app buggy.

I did not check if the sound is from the heat shield, but would the heat should make sound only when the pedal is pressed?

Have you ever owned/driven a turbo car before? There is a slight hiss/woosh/whatever you want to call it when the turbo spools up and you start building boost, on our cars the sound is most noticeable around those RPMs you mentioned. Typically you don't notice it in 1st because it's a short gear and you're just taking off, but then in 3rd/4th you're rolling along more and you can stay in that range longer. Unless it sounds to you like your car is obviously broken (I can't hear anything in the video that jumps out at me) I would assume what you're hearing is just a normal turbo sound. I can hear my turbo at those RPMs too.

If you push the pedal down at an RPM that doesn't produce much power does the sound start to grow once you hit that point where you can feel the car rapidly starting to gain power? If so, once again that's just what turbos do.

If your turbo was bad enough to be able to hear it you'd more than likely hear hear a distinct grinding sound/high pitched sound like metal rubbing on metal at super high speeds, and like Max said it wouldn't last long in that condition, but you seem to be driving the car around quite a bit.

A bad turbo will sound different depending on what's wrong with it. Still, it is pretty obviously not right. If you hear a very loud whining sound, grinding noises, or something that sounds like ball bearings in a blender, you know you're in trouble.

Thank you for the great responses, this is just awesome!

Yes, I never driven a turbo car before, this is why i was wondering if there is even an issue in my car or if this is just the turbo building up sound (which I think this is what the sound i hear).

For sure I do not hear metal or grinding sound, just a sound of air, and the first few days of owning the car I thought that this is the sound of the turbo sucking the air in, but I thought I should confirm and ask the internet :)

Thank you all for your help. I will keep the car as is, if find out later that the sound from an issue, I will post it, so other would know.

You do know these things require lots of TLC don't you ?

You'll want to spend more time here and read up on these cars.

Never let the oil get low, always top it off weekly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Use Motul gear 300 in the tranny and rear diff.

Make sure you can get the fill plug out before you remove the drain plug.

Archived