LegacyGT.com

Help, I need a new suspension....D2 Coilovers are blown

Guys sorry I'm just now reading this, obvious the time zone is crazy different...but honestly I could cry. The fact that you are all willing to help me get through this especially GTeaser after I kept him in the dark so long on the provas....sorry again. But yes if you guys really really are willing to then let's do this!!! Screw the 1700 dollar RCE's!!!! We would just have to be very good with timing. I will be back in the states December 15, and I will leave January 13. So you gentlemen let me know what your schedule looks like and tell me what exactly to do. GTeaser obviously I'll need to send you my struts as soon as I get back. And I'm guessing I should also get the springs ordered before I return so I'll do that while I'm here. Since I'm not going with coils I want springs that are pretty stiff. Should I go with You guys exact setup or do you recommend something different for me??? At this point you guys are in charge, I honestly should have just listened to Joe loooooong ago but I'm a stubborn young buck that still needs to learn the hard way all the time. I'll get better and more wise eventually [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys sorry I'm just now reading this, obvious the time zone is crazy different...but honestly I could cry. The fact that you are all willing to help me get through this especially GTeaser after I kept him in the dark so long on the provas....sorry again. But yes if you guys really really are willing to then let's do this!!! Screw the 1700 dollar RCE's!!!! We would just have to be very good with timing. I will be back in the states December 15, and I will leave January 13. So you gentlemen let me know what your schedule looks like and tell me what exactly to do. GTeaser obviously I'll need to send you my struts as soon as I get back. And I'm guessing I should also get the springs ordered before I return so I'll do that while I'm here. Since I'm not going with coils I want springs that are pretty stiff. Should I go with You guys exact setup or do you recommend something different for me??? At this point you guys are in charge, I honestly should have just listened to Joe loooooong ago but I'm a stubborn young buck that still needs to learn the hard way all the time. I'll get better and more wise eventually [emoji23]

Why not order a set of KYB fronts and have them sent to joe to have them built up, instead of waiting on getting your out. Last I checked prices were around $75 each.

The springs all depend on how low you want to be. The stiffest are RCE and H&R. I've driven cars with both and obviously own the H&R's. RCE lowers 0.8" from stock and H&R 1.25" from stock. Both are progressive springs, meaning as they compress, they get stiffer. The RCEs are very nice, and a little more forgiving with a slower progression to the stiffness, afforded by the fact that they are taller. The H&R's ramp up the stiffness quickly under compression and because of that can be a little bouncy if the Konis are set soft, but are stiff if the Konis are set a little firmer. For spirited driving, either are great, but I believe the H&R's hook up better without being harsh. Many have gotten the impression that the RCEs are harsh on rough pavement.

Either are going to feel different than coilovers because the coilovers use linear springs, but my recommendation, if you want to be lower, would be the H&R's.

Take some inventory of the roads there in the Netherland. If they are really rough, you might consider Eibachs with a 1" drop. They are softer, but with the Konis they will perform really well.

How many miles on your car right now? Do you still have your stock suspension sitting in your garage? What sway bars are you running? Asking so I can give you a parts list.

GTEASER I think Ill just do your exact set up. On the body of my car I'm at around 107k I believe. My struts are in my garage in Texas yes, and for the record the roads over here are flawless. There are no potholes or broken roads like the United States just smooth and easygoing. The only sway bar I have is rear and it's a white line I believe......don't quote me on that my brother bought it for me when I first bought the car because he was elevated mentally lol Rest In Peace brother. But I think it is a 25mm.... gosh I hope I'm being accurate with this I'm sorry I just don't remember and I feel kinda dumb now. Thank you for providing me with all of that information though!!!! So solid [emoji817]

Why not order a set of KYB fronts and have them sent to joe to have them built up, instead of waiting on getting your out. Last I checked prices were around $75 each.

Just to be clear, doing this will eliminate having to mess around with my OEM struts correct???

No. You will need to reuse or buy new parts 19 through 24 https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/auto-parts/2011/subaru/legacy/2-5gt-trim/2-5l-h4-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/suspension-components-scat

If someone can confirm that part 22 upper spring seat is the same as a 2011 Legacy 3.6 I'll donate a brand new pair still in the wrappers to this :wub:fest/ I loved the 70's :lol: plus I'm of Dutch heritage.

Just to be clear, doing this will eliminate having to mess around with my OEM struts correct???

Yes. But you will need to buy brand new bump stops, dust boots, upper front spring perch and rear tophats. Not expensive, but definitely more cost. I would have suggested buying new front tophats regardless.

GTEASER if you just tell me what route you want me to go and what you want me to buy I'll do. If it's easier and better that I just buy all new parts then I'll do that, and also also after you have everything and are gonna send it back, include your cut in the cost of the shipping as well!!!! Thank you guys very very much I'm so thankful and lucky. And I'm not exactly sure if what DugsSin was saying will work with my car but I'm gracious for that offer as well [emoji1431][emoji1431][emoji1431]

No. You will need to reuse or buy new parts 19 through 24 https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/auto-parts/2011/subaru/legacy/2-5gt-trim/2-5l-h4-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/suspension-components-scat

If someone can confirm that part 22 upper spring seat is the same as a 2011 Legacy 3.6 I'll donate a brand new pair still in the wrappers to this :wub:fest/ I loved the 70's [emoji38] plus I'm of Dutch heritage.

Thats a very kind offer! Yes, part 22 is the same across all Legacys. When samsino starts ordering parts and having them shipped to me I will hit you up with my shipping info.

If only you guys could see the smile I have after reading these things. GTEASER I'll start ordering as soon as you let me know what I need to buy for you to work your magic!!! So much stress off my shoulders now all I'll have to do is return home, meet with some good friends and have a nice install party and my car will be back to it's amazing self!!! You guys are the best hands down

Here is my list for samsino. Let me know if I am missing anything, guys.

FYI I did not like the KYB Bump stop/dust covers. I had to drill them bump stops to fit over dampers, plus the fitting is kind odd and tight fit how the dust covers fit over the bump stops (I think I used oil and a screw driver to get them over.)

I've got 2 new front Subaru bump stops to go along with the spring seats and two used black strut dust covers. Ready to ship anytime. That would clean out my whoops I ordered things twice.
Awesome! I will PM you as soon as samsino starts ordering and sending things my way.

I received the KYB donor struts yesterday from RockAuto. H&R springs and Konis are on their way. Tophats, etc will be ordered once I confirm what I have, and what I need following receipt of the package from DugsSin.

Changed thread title....

Archived