LegacyGT.com

driving in snow soon... so tires?

:confused: never done it! im about to move from mid texas to washington for a month then finally nebraska! im currently trying to prep my car for the journey. I'm fiddling with the idea of lifting my car sooner than planned for shits and giggles, but right now everything is stock. my question, however, is what tires should i use? ill only be in washington for a month, but will be moving to a nother snowy climate. do i need a tire with decnt temp range or should i value staying safer in snow? is there even that big of a differencㄷ? andi do need shocks soon

total newb, so all inputs are welcomed. and any tips for the lifting route is appreciated

If you dont want a dedicated set of snow and summer tires, then find a set of good all-terrains with high ratings/temp ranges for cold weather. I lifted mine with outback suspension and then did all seasons and it did very well in the mountains during winter.

I have Bf Goodrich Advantages? I think and they're pretty nice in all weather and were able to get me through a max of 10in of snow. But they wear out really quickly, I have about 30k on mine and I'll be replacing them in spring. Go on tirerack.com and look through tires and read the ratings, they are pretty helpful

General Grabber AT/2. Best all-around tire out there IMO. They make them in wheel sizes as small as 15" for the Subaru. Once my current tires wear out, or when the first snow falls here, I'll be switching to those.

+1 to general grabbers, had them on my truck and loved them. I'm kinda tired of having all-seasons that are mediocre on the street so once these goodrich tires wear out I'm going to have a dedicated set of Bridgestone Blizzak tires on the current rims, then doing some sort of sticky street tire for my other set of rims.

When are you actually making this move? If you're not getting to Nebraska until Dec, then I'd hold off until then if you've got tires that can make the journey. Does depend on when and where you'll cross the Rockies.

+1 to Brighton's feelings about all seasons being mediocre at both winter and summer. If you can afford to have two sets (both financially and storage wise) there isn't an all season that will be close to as good as separate sets.

If they are in good shape, I wouldn't necessarily swap for the drive up there. Maybe on the drive back, but if you get there on the tires, I don't know that getting to NE would be that much different. This is said as a Minnesotan who lived in Alaska, I've done quite a bit of driving in the snow and on the mountains.

I do love my snow tires, but if your all terrains are in good condition, I don't think I'd swap to snow tires for the drive. I assume for most of your drive you'll probably be on clear highways. If you get snow tires up in Washington the clear highways will actually be detrimental to the tires as the softer compound will wear heat up and wear quickly. However, it depends on where in Washington you are going to be starting from and the route you're going to take.

Mountain snow is no joke. OTOH, driving technique is more important than tire compound for road use. Just remember the lesson at the end of "War Games", and know when to fold.

That is very true, knowing how to drive on the surfaces you encounter is paramount, and +1 for mountain snow being no joke. When and where he crosses will determine how bad that snow is.

I'm in Washington and if your gonna be in Seattle then surprisingly there isn't as much snow from my experience. It's too humid or something or maybe it rains to often but it's more slushy and icy. Around naches or Chinook area, pretty close to Yakima, that's where the snow gets pretty bad.

Worst conditions I had to deal with were ice covered by powder. These cars plow through soft powder though. I had bald all seasons winter before last and that was a dumb idea, fun, but sideways all the time. So this last winter I went and bought some falken eurosport winter tires. They go well and driving carefully they do great, most impressive aspect is how much they help you stop, slamming on the brakes stopped me wayyyy quicker then what I'm used to in snow.

+ 1 on the bridgestone blizzaks, those are probably the best winter tires out there with the new ws80 series IMO, might pay a pretty penny for them though

Archived