LegacyGT.com

The Official F1 Thread - V2

SBT

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel bad for Ricciardo. Dude's a solid driver with a trash ride, aside from Newey's aero magic.

It was such a trash ride that Verstappen finished in 2nd close behind Kimi and ahead of Lewis. Daniel has had almost all of the bad luck with race failures for Red Bull. Certainly not the best package on the grid but better than where he'll be in 2019, I'll bet.

Thoughts for Robert Wickens, IndyCar driver. It seems his crash at Pocono earlier this year has left him a parapalegic. At least he has his former team owner, quadriplegic Sam Schmidt, also paralyzed while racing IndyCars, to help him through it.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/wickens-far-away-from-walking-on-my-own/3202768/

Then they discover that the cameras/screens suffer from two factors:

• Time lag - something FPS gamers are all too familiar with.
  • Issues with re-focusing from the track to the screen. Especially if the driver is older.

There are studies ongoing to have cameras/screens instead of mirrors in trucks so I have already seen the second point being an issue.

453747.png

The lens in your eye don't have to adapt when looking in a mirror, but when you look at the screen it has to adapt. That's the focus I'm considering, not the mental focus.

It's like changing from looking far away to looking at something close up like a map quickly. It takes a while until you have adapted and it gets worse with age.

453747.png

The new Silverado/Sierra trucks have screens in place of the rearview mirror. It's a mirror when the car is off and turns into a screen using the backup camera when you start the truck. I'm not a fan because you can't adjust the aim at all like you can with a mirror.

My 2018 Armada Platinum has the camera rear view mirror. The focus change from road ahead to screen in the mirror takes time to get used to, but it isn’t an issue for me anymore. Much clearer, wider, and fully unobstructed view. The camera is behind rear hatch glass at the top and is cleaned by the rear wiper blade. It is adjustable up and down, and can be zoomed in and out, thru the onscreen menu and there is no noticeable delay to how it portrays what is behind you. Love it... especially when the back of the truck is full of cargo or people.

F1 drivers are young and tech savvy. They should switch to cameras that offer better side and rear view without blind spots.

Hoping for Ricciardo's car to finish a race one of these days! 8 DNFs this year, most for any driver.

Boring race but congrats to Max for the win and Lewis for his 5th WDC. Good thing he got those six race wins late to build up a lead becz the last two races Ferrari had Mercedes well handled. Now off to Brazil!

Ricciardo seems to have about as much bad luck as Alonso.

Sounds like he's fed up. He offered after the race to let Gasly drive the final two races for Red Bull. Don't know if he's serious. If he is and RB takes him up on it, RB should let him test for Renault end of season.

His mech issue wasn't the Renualt unit. It was the hydraulics.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ricciardo-im-done-ill-let-gasly-drive/

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious. Am I the only person in this thread that watches old races on youtube when I get bored? I watch IMSA, Champ Car, Trans Am, sometimes old SCCA.

Is there a rehab system for race fans. Not including NASCAR fans, of course, since there seems to be no coming back from that.