LegacyGT.com

mazdaspeed 6 great googly-moogly

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah, first off, Im not on nastycock, second of all i threatened noone so the e-thug comment is out of line.

Sorry for the assumptions that you were on NASIOC. I've never seen people so adamant about the searching rule than there, and since there is a lot of crossover, I just assumed.

I would like to cordially thank you, though, for enforcing the policy that a member must search and bump old threads before starting new ones.

thats my old line :icon_surp

As for the Mazda...you all complain about the vendors and aftermarket for the LGT good luck with this POS.

It is, I added "and sometimes google" at the end.

I had a Mazdaspeed protege, and let me tell you, it took 2 years for any good parts to come out, and as I have posted before, the resale on these is gonna suck, its a really shitty investment.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

It looks like Mazda has done their homework on this one, but of course real road performance will be the determining factor, not just numbers on paper. Even if it isn't quick, it has some pretty good options available. I wonder which is more of a benefit for low end torque: higher compression ratio 9.5:1 (Mazda) or variable intake cam (Subaru), can't really compare the engines since one is 2.3, other is 2.5 and also internal differences. I'd like to see a dyno sheet of both engines to see if it makes more low end torque. It seems that Mazda went with the top mount intercooler (they wanna be like Subaru :icon_bigg ) to save cost & weight, and resist polar inertia. My best guess is that polar inertia is just the distance and time it takes for the air to reach the intake manifold due to additional intercooler piping for a front mount intercooler. Does anyone know what polar inertia is? The intercooler looks like it has also has a mesh screen to protect it. No hood scoop dosn't make much sense unless they've engineered that front grill to deliver air to the intercooler if not heat soak will probably be worst than a little lag from a front mount. I didn't read the first post so if I mention things that have already been covered thats why, not to mention I could read for days and still not find everything.:)

Now don't I feel silly, I didn't think the front mount would make that much of a difference to hinder handling cause of the extra weight. The Evo has great handling even with the way the engine is mounted and a front mount. I guess that just shows that the Evo is very well balanced and maybe the Mazda would really be effected by the extra weight in the front.

Now don't I feel silly, I didn't think the front mount would make that much of a difference to hinder handling cause of the extra weight. The Evo has great handling even with the way the engine is mounted and a front mount. I guess that just shows that the Evo is very well balanced and maybe the Mazda would really be effected by the extra weight in the front.

Mazda used a SMIC in the Protegespeed, I assume that if they did that on this car it would be only slightly bigger. the MSP SMIC weighed in at 8 lbs. not enough to really affect the weight balance of the car...

I think Mazda are doing the best they can to make something special, their AWD system might now be as good as ours, but they are trying to make up for it in other ways: a better interior, more options, even a handbrake activated disconnection of the rear wheel drive for those sexy handbrake turns we all wish we could do :rolleyes:

A FMIC would have been the easiest way to go, but they obviously thought about it long and hard and decided on a TMIC, and I can't believe it had anything to do with handling or polar inertia. Until I get to drive one, I reserve judgement. Mazda do make good, stylish, reliable cars, well the ones I had were anyway, so to slag them off before giving them a chance is a little unfair.

I say "Mazda bring it on". Competition will only make the kind of cars we like better and less expensive. I think most people would agree that the LGT is a better overall car, but there are a few things Subaru could learn from Mazda.

ie: Mazda has a special edition that actually performs better, our spec-B only performs marginally better.

I am sure sure Mazda has auto-up and down windows.

And the e-brake rear-drive cut-out is taken from Suburau, but they never put it on the LGT.

Bu11dogg2 aka OT's bitch - Luv shottin yourself in the f00t, don't you!!!! Hehe

i dabble in the OT occasionally, only in threads that are reposts though. it all about the IBTL my friend... but we cant talk about that. anyway dont make me climb through the internets and make you beat me up!!:lol:

Mazda, though Japanese, has had some reliability problems. Consumer Reports, which does a decent job of sampling in their relibility rankings as compared to JD Powers, rates Subaru far ahead of Mazda (in fact in some cases superior to Honda). I'd be very careful here.

I say "Mazda bring it on". Competition will only make the kind of cars we like better and less expensive. I think most people would agree that the LGT is a better overall car, but there are a few things Subaru could learn from Mazda.

ie: Mazda has a special edition that actually performs better, our spec-B only performs marginally better.

I am sure sure Mazda has auto-up and down windows.

And the e-brake rear-drive cut-out is taken from Suburau, but they never put it on the LGT.

The rear drive cutout only works cause its not full time AWD :lol:

In a true system linked by diffrentilals IE STi and EVO this is impossible. You can shut off the limited slip plates but it will never disengage the natural differential action.

I have yet to see car companies lower prices due to competition, instead they make higher HP cars and jack up the prices.

I would say we see it all the time. Look at all the high hp cars available now 250 hp is normal nowadays. If Nissan hadn't started it a couple of years ago where would we be?

The rear drive cutout only works cause its not full time AWD :lol:

In a true system linked by diffrentilals IE STi and EVO this is impossible. You can shut off the limited slip plates but it will never disengage the natural differential action.

Educate me please, how does the STI do it? I would love it in my car.

I would say we see it all the time. Look at all the high hp cars available now 250 hp is normal nowadays. If Nissan hadn't started it a couple of years ago where would we be?

GM had been putting out 3800 V6's for years with great power before Nissan released the VQ35 series in the Altima/350Z.

The L36 was making 230FT/LBS back in 1995, and the L67's were superchaged and putting down 240HP and 280FT/LBS.

The VQ is a great motor, but the 3800 Gen II blocks had been doing it for longer :)

Educate me please, how does the STI do it? I would love it in my car.

STi dosent actually do it... It just disables the limited slip action so there is more freedom in the drivetrain. The front wheels are still mechanically linked by the planatary diff.

One thing Mazda has over Subie is Nav with a stick.

GM had been putting out 3800 V6's for years with great power before Nissan released the VQ35 series in the Altima/350Z.

The L36 was making 230FT/LBS back in 1995, and the L67's were superchaged and putting down 240HP and 280FT/LBS.

The VQ is a great motor, but the 3800 Gen II blocks had been doing it for longer :)

Have you driven a car with a NA 3800? Hardly a comparison to the VQ. The VQ30 was putting out 227hp before the VQ35. The Gen II 3800 feels like an airconditioner rather than an engine and runs out of breath at highway speeds. I spent a lot of time driving an impala. Felt nice down low but felt like an SUV at highway speeds. The 3800 SC has a lot more pull but still doesn't offer the all round performance of the VQ. The 3800 SC was hooked up mostly to a bunch of GM barges with 4 speed automatics that compeated with themselves. Nissan really got the ball rolling with the VQ maxima and altima.... just my 2 cents.

Archived