LegacyGT.com

mazdaspeed 6 great googly-moogly

No wagon or 5-door hatch version? Not for me.

I did have a 626GT turbo hatchback a while back. Great car for its time. It's still soldiering on for the next owner, with almost 300K miles on the odometer. :)

Has anyone gone to the mazda usa site and checked out the mazdaspeed 6?

It is pretty much what all of the lgt fan base has been clamoring for, although still a bit underpowered.

Some of the features:

I believe its a 2.3l single scroll turbo w/intercooler

274hp @5600rpm

280tq @3000rpm

6speed tranny

LSD

navi (option-even on six speed manual)

there is more of course here is the link

www.mazdausa.com

any who, it looks to be what some of us are looking for in a modestly priced nearlux sports sedan.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last Sunday, I took part in Mazda's "Zoom Zoom Live" traveling roadshow at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Their focus was on the new Miata, but we were able to drive their entire car line-up (no SUVs or vans). No MazdaSpeed 6. I went from a '93 626 to my 2.5iL in July. The 626 was a good, but not great car. Nevertheless, I traded it in at 150,000 miles and it only needed scheduled maintenance. Anyway, the closed courses didn't offer enough time to really get a feel of the cars, but I was impressed with the new 5 mini-minivan. Little underpowered but a very practicle, stylish and flexible machine. I was most impressed by the 3 (they only had sedans to drive). The standard Mazda 6 with 6 cyl. engine and automatic transmission didn't offer a lot of Zoom-Zoom, but it's still a very nice car and the '06 wagon is very nice in dark cherry color. They've taken all of the fake aluminum look off of the center stack and given it a nice flat black finish. About the same dimensions as the Legacy.

But alas, it's not a Subaru with all-wheel drive.

Otherwise, the event was pretty lackluster compared to those of other car company's road shows, although you did get to beat the cars pretty hard if that's your thing. Bottom line though is that Mazda makes a very good car.

Looks meh to me. About the only thing it does is 20 more HP than the Legacy and HID's standard? Other than that, it is a mazada.

6-speed. That is the one option that would have gotten me into a Spec-B.

I'm also curious as to how their AWD system works. Mazda hasn't made many, where Subaru has made a lot, and it shows.

Archived