LegacyGT.com

replacing factory speakers

harrydog

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt they do serious bass, but I'm sure they're respectable in that area - good speakers. Remember tho that one of those 6.5's is dedicated to very low frequencies and x-over'ed out of the mids.

yeah, I guess it is determined by what you consider "serious". All I know is that they have cleaner and as much bass as my prior 10" Cerwin Vega floor speakers. Kinda like our turbocharged 4's....we have as much or more power than some V8's!

I installed one and it went fairly smooth. I had already taken my stereo apart once before, though. I posted a picture of it in the "Metra bezel" thread.

http://www.bryanbrazil.com/substereo.jpg

Has anyone installed one of these?

http://www.installer-data.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-8901

I'm told this allows you to change out the head unit.

The faceplate is the same gray as the AC controls, but a little darker than the trim around the shifter. I was actually hoping it would be black so I could repaint the scratched trim around my shifter. I guess I'll live with gray, though. Does anyone know how to disconnect the manual AC unit from inside the dash? I had to connect the Metra kit to the AC controls while inside the car and it was a pain. Oh yeah, and I'm in California.

Looks great, I kow a lot of us would like to get our hands on the manual CC's so we could do the same. Tell me, is the faceplate titanium gray or black? And are you in the US?

Oops, I meant "modified bezel" here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21160&page=2&pp=15. I didn't convert to manual CC; I already had it. The bezel was about $75 including shipping and the Alpine deck was $200.

I searched for the "metra bezel" thread but didn't find it. Can you explain how the conversion to the manual CC went & if it's 100% compatible? Also where did you get the parts & if I may ask, what was the cost?

Can someone explain exactly why the head unit can not be changed if you have the auto CC? The head unit and the CC electronics are actually physically integrated?

The ACC controls are actually built into the radio circuitry... so... removing the stereo would stuff your ACC :icon_evil BAD SUBARU... go to your room

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

curious if the dB series is even the same construction?

I am pretty sure they are different as the MMs are at least 10 years older than the DBs. But same brand (Polk), same location (door) and same source of problem (water/moisture)? Not to bash Polk as I know they've got one of the better sounding systems out there. It is just I have never had this using JBL, Boston or even Pioneer.

• 1 month later...
I am very impressed with the Metra kit. I installed an Alpine HU and the iPod interface with the metra kit in my Legacy and it looks fantastic. The sound is amazing even with the stock speakers. I definitely recommend getting the wiring harness. Hardest part was not being able to remove the AC controller due to the temperature control which uses a wire. However, it was not bad just disassembling it from the radio and installing the kit. I was going to have someone do it professionally but they wanted like $150 to do it. I used heat-shrink tubing and I am glad I did it myself - sounds better this way :)

I had JL XR-650 CSi component speakers installed in the front doors and am using a JL amp to power them. It sounds a lot better now then with the original equipment but it still does not sound as good as I think it should. I am no expert and do not know that much about car stereos but I am wondering if I would have been better off getting the coaxial speakers as the tweeters sound very bright, and I have had to put them at their lowest settings.

Some on the board have suggested that the sound is better for this vehicle if the tweeters are closer to the mid range speakers. Is it possible to mount the tweeters closer to the midrange speakers without putting additional holes in the car? Where is a good spot to put the tweeters?

• 4 weeks later...

Why do'nt you do like I did with my '04 WRX wagon. Wrx radio sound 10 times worst then the LGT. First it chaged the door speakers to 4 6.5" pioneer 3-way speakers and kept the stock fatory hi mounted tweeter. The sound was a lot better. But I heard distortion. I found out the factory sud was distorting and the door speakers could go deeper then the factory sub. pioneer go from 22k hz to @30hz and have 91db sens. They mount less then 3" and are less then $90 and sound great. No one ever talk about them.

After a while I wanted to up grade the setup. I wanted to keep the 6 disc in dash changer because I could 'nt find an aftermarket one. So I went to scoobymods.com and they had the wire diagram for the factory sub plug. I think all the cars are wire for sub. It's on the passenger side in the WRX and driver side in the LGT. The plug runs to the radio and have a wires for:

Rear left + -

rear right + -

ground

remote power that comes on with the car.

I went and bought a 10" cerwin vega sub, Kenwood pre-amp 4 x 100w amp, 150w mono sub amp, and a LOC(I think it stands for level out converter. It brings level down so you can run the signal to an amp or pre-amp. Plus it has left and right RCA outputs.)

I connected the LOC to the left & right + -(turn the LOC to min to keep the engine noise at bay). Run the RCAs into PRe-amps. The pre-amp is only about 6" wide and 1" hi. I was able to mount the pre-amp in my center console armrest. It has 2 inputs(left and right) and 5 outputs(l&r, f&r, and a sub output). It has 7 band eq with a sub volume and crossover control(a slide from 150hz to 30hz). When press the sub button it cuts the other four speaker to no lower than 100hz and has a fader. I used the sub plug ground to the pre-amp and the remote power to power the pre amp and to turn on the amps. I ran a power block from the battery to the amps. Then I remover the spare tire cover and the under floor storage bid. I made a false floor out of 3/4" MDF and mount the sub in the floor. I measured so the sub's basket would fit in the center of the spare tire. I got a flat and I'm gald I keep my spare. When I was done the sound was great. It was not a bock party but more then enough. I like rock to rap to steely dan to led zep. So I wanted full sound not just bumps.

The stock radio is very clean it's just short on power. They change was huge. People that had WRXs know what I mean. On the freeway I would turn the radio up to 15 and the bass down to 2 to cut distrotion and to be heard over cabin noise and dont try to drive with the windows open you would be up in the 20s. Well after that I would ply it and 2 or 3 and at 5 or 6 if I had the windows open on the freeway. 7 & 8 was getting too loud for my 34yr old ears. When you looked at my car it looked total stock except for my sub in the floor. I got a very storg grill so I cound still carry stuff in my car(I stuffed 2 power wheel cycle boxes in my car and the hatch closed.) With setup the bass was very deep and led zepplin never sounded so good. I hope this helps. When I sold my car it took me less then a hour to put it back to stock. I didnt cut any factory wires just unpluged them. heres some pix any question let me know.

173353(2).JPG.f8bd8f1f500d3f771589e5ade2b53857.JPG

173450(2).JPG.81ee6d3f1d9e5bb28eaee6bafb680fc3.JPG

173807(2).JPG.33dffe4978063780c8d254722553b937.JPG

174534(2).JPG.ce5a0aed045a04615cdc21d53f93ba49.JPG

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 4 months later...

quick question for a newbie-ish:

when they sell speakers on crutchfield, specifically these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IpDoAPTPciP/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?g=52000&id=essential_info&i=107DB650#VehBox

are they sold single? or in pairs?

i might take harrydog's route and upgrade two first, and then the rest if its worth it.

thanks,

matt

I have never seen car speakers sold in anything but pairs. Home speakers can sometimes be purchased singly.

I was looking through the service manual... it looks like the speaker grill doesn't just pop off. I have to remove the entire door panel. May not be too bad... Just wondering if it is worth it.

• 4 weeks later...
What effect does the 'factory equalization' seem to have for those of you who have replaced the factory speakers and still use the stock head unit? Is it something that you can get rid of by simply using the 3 band equalizer (low, mid, high) ?

• 5 months later...
I have a stock face with two 10 inch subs, pioneer speakrs all around, and it sounds great with stock face..whoever installs them just tell them to adjust the levels the sounds best..I have a 2006 Leg GT Limitd..Am i screwed with my I pod..I have the whole FM modulator, so cause of my GT I cannot Get the I pod installed?? Whats the deal with this?? That sucks

Archived