LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Question

Not sure there is any documented evidence that a change at 1K is needed. However I had the 6K interval as well but was notified at 3K (by dealer) I needed it changed as it was not synthetic from factory and they would change it over. So (due to a mistake on their part) I changed my oil at 3K. 3.5K and now should be good to 9k which I'll probably round up to 10.

Just got a 2018 Legacy 3.6r. The break in period is 1000 miles. First service is at 6000 miles. Is there any benefit/detriment to changing the oil at 1,000 miles at the end of the break in period and then again at 6000....Any input would be appreciated.
Just follow Subaru recommendations. If you drive is way out of what is considered normal (towing...not happening, 120mph DD, drive 4 miles a day) then you should shorten your oil changes.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Not sure there is any documented evidence that a change at 1K is needed. However I had the 6K interval as well but was notified at 3K (by dealer) I needed it changed as it was not synthetic from factory and they would change it over. So (due to a mistake on their part) I changed my oil at 3K. 3.5K and now should be good to 9k which I'll probably round up to 10.
I haven't seen any documentation of Synthetic or Regular oil is initially added by the factory.

3.6 Your vehicle is designed to use 5W-30 conventional motor oil,*however 5W-30 synthetic may be used for optimum engine performance.*If you do choose to use synthetic oil, we recommend that you continue using synthetic for the life of your vehicle.

Does it matter NO! It still has the 6000 miles/ 6 month intervals. @Ronin3.6R you were snookered.

I haven't seen any documentation of Synthetic or Regular oil is initially added by the factory.

3.6 Your vehicle is designed to use 5W-30 conventional motor oil,*however 5W-30 synthetic may be used for optimum engine performance.*If you do choose to use synthetic oil, we recommend that you continue using synthetic for the life of your vehicle.

Does it matter NO! It still has the 6000 miles/ 6 month intervals. @Ronin3.6R you were snookered.

I think we disagree on if it "matters". It does to me and for this car, that is what really matters. I use synthetic in all my vehicles from the fun cars I have had to the DD. I don't think I was snookered as my service was free- I did not pay a dime. Your right on the documentation, I was not sure either. The dealership told me conventional from factory hence the 3K interval as I was expecting 6K as you mentioned. Anyway, now I know what's in there.

To your original question of any benefit being had from an oil change at 1k, I'd say no. Opinion.

I tried to get my dealer to change my oil at 3k, they all but refused. Said it didn't need it and gave some BS line about causing oil leaks by changing it too soon.

I haven't been back to that dealership and have moved to another for my service needs.

I always changed mine every 5K miles with full synthetic so the math is simple:) I buy a 5 qt jug of Pennzoil or Mobil 1 for $22 at Walmart and give it to dealer. They supply the filter and the labor for about $20. This way I get a full Synthetic oil change for under $45.

Yep...I've been doing it this way for the last 10+ years on all my cars regardless of make. They will always use your customer supplied oil as long as it's the same grade as what the car calls for. Great way to save over $25 an oil change and get exactly what you want if you have an oil brand preference.

I always changed mine every 5K miles with full synthetic so the math is simple:) I buy a 5 qt jug of Pennzoil or Mobil 1 for $22 at Walmart and give it to dealer. They supply the filter and the labor for about $20. This way I get a full Synthetic oil change for under $45.

It takes a little more than 5 quarts for an oil/filter change.

What are they topping it off with, or do you top it off when you get home?

3.6R's take almost 7 quarts... +/- .1 quart...as I just got the new one, this weekend.

But, interesting to note. I'll check with the local service peeps here, otherwise, will continue to change the oil myself. ;)

It does indeed.. The poster has a 2.5.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

It does indeed.. The poster has a 2.5.

I believe he referenced a 3.6R...?

Just got a 2018 Legacy 3.6r. The break in period is 1000 miles. First service is at 6000 miles. Is there any benefit/detriment to changing the oil at 1,000 miles at the end of the break in period and then again at 6000....Any input would be appreciated.

OP,

This is a long thread about this issue that I started a few days after I bought my wife's car:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/break-oil-change-244608.html

My wife put the first miles on this car as we were there the day it rolled of the truck. I broke it in the 'proper way' with increasing rpm runs right off the bat to seat the rings. And I did a break in oil change at 1k miles.

My wife drives the car primarily, but when I drive it, I beat the everliving piss out of it, so oil and engine maintenance is important to me. I ONLY go with synthetic (the Subaru OEM stuff is cheap: $7 qt) and OEM filter. I do a 5k interval.

So far, at my last oil change at few weeks ago at 25K miles, I drained 6.5 qts - so oil useage/burning is minimal - less than . 5 qt over 5000 miles, a couple thousand of which were extended highway miles.

You can do whatever you like, but it never hurts to have good mechanical hygiene.

• 2 weeks later...
I have read that the break-in period is no longer needed since todays engines are so well assembled and have pinpoint clearances due to laser measurements. Its not like the old days when the tolerances we not good.
Source??? Proof???

Archived