LegacyGT.com

Is my turbo squeaking?!

Hey, has anyone heard this sound before? A couple different ideas where the turbo being starved for oil and an exhaust leak. It seems to be worst in reverse, a little better in drive, slightly better in park and almost not there in neutral. It does it when it's not moving or moving. I just took the downpipe off to check the turbo when I got a p0011 code, it was fine took out the filter in the banjo bolt, changed the oil and filter. The oil came back from Blackstone with glowing grades. Been driving it for ~700 miles, p0302 came up I found a ground wire that had been corroded, so I replaced that and it seemed to fix the misfire but this squeak started.

DO NOT START that engine again, REPLACE that turbo

Hopefully you haven't put any or to many metal particles into the oil system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Am I missing something? No shaft play spins nicely. Although I do hear something very faintly when I spin it can't hear it in the video cause there's some odd rumble the phone picks up, I guess that may be the bearings but I'm not sure, it's only occasional and could also be my finger rubbing against the fins

How many miles on that turbo ?

The first video sounds like the turbo is shot.

I know its hard to believe but you need to pull that turbo and check the front side.

We would hate to hear that you put it back together, drove the car a few miles and the turbo blew and put metal into the engine.

At this point, let play it smart and safe.

A little time and money now will give you piece of mind and may save you thousands.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Am I missing something? No shaft play spins nicely. Although I do hear something very faintly when I spin it...

In the video, it sounds like some metal-to-metal contact between the rotating parts of the turbo and the housing. The turbo spins 1000's of RPM, so any imbalance leads to a lot of sideways force on the bearings. It's possible there is some damage to one of the blades and you are hearing that blade kissing the housing as it rotates.

If you want to hear it better, you can use a mechanic's stethoscope, or just place a long screwdriver against the turbo housing and put your ear at the other end. You'll hear the sound in that area conducted straight to your head.

There's not a lot of point in speculating -- these things don't get better on their own -- best to replace or rebuild the turbo as soon as possible.

I caught a faint faint squeal under light load when the car wasn't all the way warmed up and took it straight to the dealer. They couldn't hear it when warm with their scope. I made the call to take apart and inspect due to 70k miles and original turbo. GLAD I DID. All fins were bent on the tips on the cold side with scoring on the walls. It was hemorrhaging oil into the intercooler. Did all the banjo bolts and lines, pulled the pan and inspected. No metal in the pan. Replaced the turbo with another VF40. At 88k miles now. Knock on wood but it's been running strong. I got extremely lucky. I have the turbo out in the garage and just looked at it and it has no observable shaft play from wiggling and spinning it. Which shows it doesn't take much play for it to eat itself and the engine.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

That's my vf40 after the blades just began to kiss the housing. see pictures down a few post.

It began to whistle one morning 1/2 mile from from home, I turned around and went back home.

Those blades don't look that bad, so yes, you got lucky.

Get a new oil return hose too.

FWIW I bolt the turbo to the up pipe. I find it easier to line up the inlet, oil return hose and up pie at the same time., start the bolts in the up pipe but leave them loose until the tmic and TB hose are installed. Allow's the turbo to move a bit to help line up the TB hose.

That hose is a PITA, so much, both my cars have a GS tmic.

Luckily I shut it down right after I took the video which was basically the second I heard the noise, had to find a place to pull over, but wanted to check where it was coming from since from in the cab it sounded somewhat close to that area. I've been real paranoid about the turbo going out so thankfully I've been doing LOTS of research before this happened. Unfortunately this is the slow season for work so I havnt had a full paycheck in a few months so it'll be a bit before I can save up for the replacement. Poor timing but that's usually when stuff like this happens, looks like it's ramen and eggs for this guy for a bit

Luckily I shut it down right after I took the video which was basically the second I heard the noise, had to find a place to pull over, but wanted to check where it was coming from since from in the cab it sounded somewhat close to that area. I've been real paranoid about the turbo going out so thankfully I've been doing LOTS of research before this happened. Unfortunately this is the slow season for work so I havnt had a full paycheck in a few months so it'll be a bit before I can save up for the replacement. Poor timing but that's usually when stuff like this happens, looks like it's ramen and eggs for this guy for a bit

I've seen affordable turbos posted in the classified sections.

Thank you for the advice I've been monitoring the classifieds but most of the time they've already been sold but I'll keep an eye out and maybe I can jump on a good one

There is someone selling a vf40 for 400$ on the Facebook group called "Legacy Owners Worldwide"

Archived