LegacyGT.com

Worsening exhaust smell through windows

Hi all,

2005 LGT wagon with 128k. 2 years ago I had AZP put in Cobb CATLESS (*correction I had written catted earlier) up-pipe and Cobb Catted Downpipe. They said that there would be a more noticeable exhaust smell with the windows down. And there was but nothing I didn't get used to.

More recently, the exhaust smell has gotten worse when the windows are down or moon roof open. It is to the point that my eyes get irritated.

Any suggestions on where/how to tell my local mechanic to investigate. They aren't a speciality shop. Up pipe/downpipe gaskets seem first thing to look at. Any other loose hoses that could be suspect?

Thanks.

Edited by ashwinearl

Captain Obvious here. Exhaust leak most likely. Could be gaskets, could be an exhaust pipe rusting out, could be cat going bad. Do you hear any unusual noise?

BTW, your Cobb uppipe is probably catless, meaning you have just the one high-flow cat in the downpipe.

Check the rubber seals around the tailgate as well, windows down means that you get an underpressure in the cabin and it sucks in stuff from wherever it can get in.

Worsening exhaust smell may mean that the cats are going bad too.

That provided that you don't find any pre-cat leaks.

453747.png

You may want to look into plugging the hatch vents. When you open the windows, you're drawing air through the vents in the rear.

Hatch vents shall be one way - at least when they are new - to prevent the backdraft from coming in. So they may be guilty as well. Easy to forget about them.

453747.png

Thanks for the hatch vent suggestion. In searching, I found some old threads on it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/catless-upp-now-have-leakii-180696.html?t=180696&highlight=vent+wagon+exhaust

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/relief-catless-dp-stench-finally-121365p3.html?highlight=Catless+stench

Where is this vent in the Wagon? Is it inside the tailgate. I haven't gone exploring yet removing the inside cover yet.

The vent location varies a lot, but last time I saw one it was behind the rear bumper cover on the side of the car. It's not like they are visible today like they were on 80's cars and now they are hidden in obscure ways.

Look here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wants-see-my-vacation-pixi-6216.html

453747.png

The vents in your '05 wagon are in each rear quarters. You can take off the bumper to get to them or pull the inside covers. I chose the inside trim. You have to take out a good bit of the trim covers in the hatch area on each side and you'll see the black vents tucked down there, they are approx 10x5" or so. I blocked mine with some spare vinyl wrap I had left over. They aren't perfectly sealed, but they do stop a good bit of the smell that had been wandering into the back. There are one-way flaps for the vents, but as they age I think they are more open than closed.

• 3 weeks later...
The vents in your '05 wagon are in each rear quarters. You can take off the bumper to get to them or pull the inside covers. I chose the inside trim.

Any suggestions for taking apart the rear quarter lower trim in a wagon? I tried in the past when accessing my Koni adjustments on the top of the strut but was only able to pull it back just a bit.

In the bumper removal instructions I see them point out two bolts that are covered by rubber grommets. Is the trim piece just held on by clips or are there more fasteners?

1599103746_rearquartertrim.png.a15ac416ff8a509ad865ef0c4d144e1f.png

I'm going to do it again in a couple days, I'll post a picture sequence for ya

Very much appreciated. I've half heartedly tried to remove these piece when working on my stereo and accessing the adjustment on the top of my Konis and gave up quickly thinking I was going to end up ripping/breaking something.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to trying this. Thanks so much to this community for providing information and courage no doubt to help me take apart things on this car.

When taking the trim off on the upper left/right of the tail gate, there is one more screw to remove. The plate that is above the lift gate latch is just held on by clips. By the seat belt, there is a pressed in plug that needs to be popped out to pull back the trim easier

When the trim is pulled back the vents are exposed.

I used some Zipp System Flashing tape from Lowes to tape them up. I had it from setting up Fatbike rims tubeless.

I'll test it out tomorrow and see if it worked.

Note that there is this green hose that sits in a port. On the left side, this hose had come loose. I am not sure what their function is. I plugged it back in where it is supposed to go

PB020202v2.jpg.559a8f90b9605229d26652fede98d2dd.jpg

PB020200v2.thumb.jpg.077210d87eed6025e662437f5966899c.jpg

PB020199v1.jpg.30cffb02f7df8d88ba4fc9bdf9a3b95f.jpg

PB020201v2.jpg.6a532e862a08a777e3e8e5188b9bfa54.jpg

PB020203v2.jpg.0ae72810c4e2ca9a3309e4eda85b9e68.jpg

Edited by ashwinearl

• 4 years later...

I covered mine with duct tape last spring and it's starting to fail. It's very apparent with the windows down and leaves me stinking like exhaust.

I grabbed some rubberized asphalt flashing tape. Hopefully that does the trick.

It sounds like the purpose of those to level out cabin pressure. I guess the health detriments of a catless exhaust being lessened are more important than climate control function, but keep in mind that no mod is without downsides!