LegacyGT.com

should I yank the ebrake

sometimes i would like to have some fun in the snow, but always afraid to yank the ebrake and cause some damage to the awd system. i know i know i should use more weight transfer when drifting an awd car. but ebrake sometime is necessary. and if someone can also give me some tip on how to drive a stick shift in deep snow especially when the car is kinda stuck.(i know how to drive stick shift in normal condition) it will be greatly appreciated.

yanking the e-brake is a good way to screw up the center diff... as for driving in the snow it's like anything else

In the first video I started in first gear I got stuck at the exit because I'm not going to blindly jump out to a main road without stopping first since it's blind on both sides

2nd video we got a foot of snow as I drove in I heard a kid say oh look another person that's going to get stuck.. I did not know what they meant until I got down the hill and saw a stuck Nissan Maurino.. the snow was so thick I had to stay in 2nd gear the whole way.. I made it in and out and I made sure to honk at the kid that thought I was going to get stuck :lol:

This video which had me decide I needed to get a action cam.. snow was flying over the hood as I was coming down the hill that's why the wipers were on high

alright at least i know it is bad for the center diff lol. luckily i only did once or twice hope it wont caused too much damage.

maybe because i only have a EJ253 when i try to get myself moving in deep snow, i always treat it like im about to hill start. once my car is moving slowly by the time realized the clutch whole car is shaking like crazy. it almost want to stall, no matter how much gas i give it. and i also dont want burn the clutch

It's it's really deep like I was in it's going to chatter.. I was in 2nd in that snow video.. no way could I went to 3rd without bogging down in the snow.. it's just something you have to learn on the fly/ in person.

it was good to see what my car could do with snow tires however

Like it has been mentioned, it's a quick way to ruining your center diff. Essentially it's going from spinning to completely stopped and back to spinning again so you can imagine the wear it could cause. I find using your foot brake and gas to control the direction of the car is really all you need unless you're doing reallly tight corners. I have a buddy with a JDM gen 3 legacy that pulls his ebrake all the time (pulling his ebrake while he has the clutch engaged also) but I'd rather play it safe.

If you're in snow, just rotate the car with steering input and power on the throttle. I lived with my '09 2.5i 5MT through many snowy winters and to get it to really rotate around I'd just crank the wheel over, stomp the gas in a lower gear, then when she started to turn - counter steer to drift around. Pretty much using the front wheels under power to pull you around initially.

I think learning how to execute a proper Scandinavian Flick would be more impressive than just forcing a drift condition with the e-brake. (I never could get it nailed down)

If you're in snow, just rotate the car with steering input and power on the throttle. I lived with my '09 2.5i 5MT through many snowy winters and to get it to really rotate around I'd just crank the wheel over, stomp the gas in a lower gear, then when she started to turn - counter steer to drift around. Pretty much using the front wheels under power to pull you around initially.

I think learning how to execute a proper Scandinavian Flick would be more impressive than just forcing a drift condition with the e-brake. (I never could get it nailed down)

Yep I think my alignment might be messed up it understear a lot only start to sliding above 4.5k rpm. I tried once Scandinavian flick it became tail happy the and shit my pants almost sky road sky road sky ditch

^ even while he has his clutch engaged with the rear locked up the center diff thinks the fronts are spinning so it tries to send the power to the locked up rear.. over and over again is going to have a binding center diff.

That's what I tried to tell him but he didn't really car. His car is now RWD converted anyhow haha.

Archived