LegacyGT.com

valve clearance

I have a 2005 GT with 94,000 miles on it.

I have heard that the valve clearance is supposed to be adjusted at 100,000 miles. True? What is the consequence of not doing this?

I have heard it is a pita because the engine has to be pulled to accomplish it on this car.

Valve clearance should be checked. It's possible adjustment is not required. Most people ignore it until they start getting symptoms of a problem.

The consequence of running too tight valve clearances is burned valves. That means you will need your heads rebuilt sooner.

I have seen a special tool that allows bucket shims to be replaced without removing the engine from the car. It is expensive, but probably makes sense for shops that do a lot of Subaru work.

• Moderators
If you are not having any misfire issues and you don't need to replace valve covers to solve a leak or anything, don't screw with it. If you are pulling a valve cover for any reason, absolutely check your valve clearances while your are there--it can be done with motor in the car.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Agreed, a logical time to check valve clearance if you have to replace the valve cover gaskets. Another opportunity is when you do the timing belt service which is officially every 105,000 miles or 105 months.

Remember, checking clearances doesn't necessarily mean any shims have to be replaced. Also, clearances typically change very slowly over time, so don't worry excessively about it.

I have seen a special tool that allows bucket shims to be replaced without removing the engine from the car. It is expensive, but probably makes sense for shops that do a lot of Subaru work.

On the older EJ25D's yes I can see that it was just the shim that needed changing but on these the whole bucket has to be changed..

I just not too long ago changed out 5 buckets it's not cheap but I know one of my valves on the drivers side for cylinder #4 only had 0.16 clearance when it should be 0.35

Archived