LegacyGT.com

2016 3.6R High Oil Consumption

Hello all, new to the forum and own my first Legacy. My question is no where as near as exciting as the others, but a concern for me.

I have a 2016 Legacy with the 3.6R engine. I have 35,000 miles on it. I recently took a long trip to visit family (put around 1300 miles on the car, highway speeds between 75-80 mph) and noticed I lost around 1/2-3/4 of a quart of oil. I always use full synthetic oil. Checked for leaks and couldn't find any.

This is my commuting workhorse, and I put around 150 miles a day, 5 days a week. I don't recall having that kind of consumption between changes.

I spoke with the dealer, and they don't seem all that concerned. They want to perform an oil consumption test (of course I have to get a dealer oil change). Should I be worried? Should I not bother with the consumption test? I'm concerned since she's going off warranty.

Thanks for the advice and help!

Try another brand of oil- in warranty, stay with the OEM requirement.

I chased this on my 3.0R Legacy. Several different 5w-30 oils gave from 8 oz/5000 miles to 34 oz/5000 miles. Some 0w/5w-40 and 10w-30 oils too, with similar results. Pennzoil and Amsoil products mostly.

Highway consumption was always higher.

Lowest consumption, all conditions, was Mobil 1 0w-40. That's what I use now.

It doesn't seem like excessive oil consumption to me since you are guessing the loss. It could be you check it on non level position. Just keep any eye on it to verify it there is an issue.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Thanks for the advice folks. It seemed higher than what I'm used to with my Toyota Camry V6 (car prior to the Legacy). It didn't consume much oil even when driven at highway speeds (my wife's 2010 Outback is only driven around town, so not much help there either).

I would prefer not to pay the dealer twice what I do to change the oil myself for something I shouldn't be concerned about.

I've been noticing quite a bit of consumption from my 3.6 for awhile. I'm considering maybe moving to a heavier 15w50 (currently using 5w40 Motul 300V) and doing a oil sample analysis to see how the engine wears with that type. Seems to be about same amount of consumption as OP said. I would typically buy about 9 quarts of oil for a change. You use about 7 for the change and I'd go through the other two quarts in 5000 miles. I guess that's not too bad when I think about it...

• 5 months later...

My 16 3.5R has 43,000 now and has never used oil. I have been using Pennzoil and M1 5-30 from the beginning, doing 6,000 intervals at the dealer bringing my oil and using their filter. My mileage is 70% city/30 hwy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived