LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.6... "passing pickup"?

Hi all,

I'm considering taking the plunge into a '18 Subaru Legacy; but have a few questions. I had the original(!) 1994 (95 model year) Outback way back when, and loved that car. Sadly, it only made it to about 140k miles before an oil seal break took the engine down.

ANYHOW, one of the few complaints I had with the car was it's complete lack of power. And yes, I realize that was over 20 years ago (... wow, apparently I'm old) and things improved. But I've also been lurking here and reading other various sources and it seems like the legacy is still slightly underpowered, even for the 3.6.

Now, I don't care about 0-60 speeds (much), but I do care about when I'm heading up into the mountains and I get the opportunity to pass, whether I can in fact count on the car to jump from 40 to 65+ quickly -- otherwise I'd get stuck behind someone for long stretches.

So, since the engine(s) haven't changed much in the last few years, my long-worded question is; does the 3.6 have enough get-up-and-go so that I can make it where I'm going without being stranded behind some slow car/truck/camper?

Yes, I'll have more questions I'm sure; but this is biggie for me.

Thanks,

--c

The 3.6 has plenty of get-up-and-go to it. Sure, on paper it is probably a bit underpowered compared to some other vehicles with similar engine sizes. However, it isn't lacking in the power department. The CVT does help to some extent - if you really get on it, it'll peg the engine right up at the top of the power band around 5500rpm and stay there. It's a pleasure to drive. The H6 is extremely smooth combined with the CVT as well as an added bonus. I wouldn't worry too much about situations like passing in the mountains. Although the best way to be certain is to go find one and test drive it!

"Subaru says a retuned ECU for 2018 provides the automatic transmission with more responsive and smoother acceleration."

"Underneath, engineers retuned the Legacy’s suspension to enhance agility and steering and brake feel. It features retuned dampers for a smoother ride and reduced body roll in the corners. Subaru also says it now has a smoother, more linear response from the Electric Power Steering (EPS) and a firmer, more direct brake-pedal feel for a more engaging drive."

It all sounds good, but I'm waiting to find one for a test drive.

The reason I purchased H-6 was the experiences with the Foz H-4 driving in the mountains in the highways. For around town the H-4 is fine but trying to keep up with the traffic(left lane) on the mountain highways was quite unnerving. If you stay in the right lane and not in a rush the H-4 will do just fine. We now head to the mountains in the H-6 and the Leggy never seemed pushed.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

owning a '16 3.6 OB and a '15 2.5 Legacy, I can affirmatively tell you that you'll absolutely feel the difference in power, hills or not. That said, I've never felt that either lacked power. And nothing that a firm right foot couldn't fix.

With the legacy, I'm mainly doing rush hour driving and got it for the eyesight, so I'm not bringing the commute stress back home. Unless you will be packing the car up with people and luggage, I think you'll be fine with either motor.

As others have said, test drive one and see how it feels for you. If the mountains are far from where the dealer is, see if you can get the service loaner for the day. It will likely be a '16 or '17, but you'll get to know the engine in the conditions.

You mention mountains and with that in mind, I only considered the 3.6. So far (although not exactly a race car) it has done fine working at a base altitude of 5280 up to 12,000 ft. And you lose a lot of ponies in thin air. A very sure footed mountain car capable of passing anyone you need to (i.e. 5th wheeler, RV etc.).

I will naturally do a driving test; though I'm pretty sold considering I had nothing but good things to say about the 1st gen outback, so I imagine the entire product line has only gotten better. Not really interested (yet) in an OB at this point as I don't need all that space and room (and less FE). But who knows when I get there and test a few out.

But the driving test is only as good as the terrain you can get, and around here it's pretty flat (and slow) so good to get some feedback about that, as it was my biggest concern.

I would love to track down one I could rent for a few days, but the only thing I've found are impreza's and WRXs ... I do wonder if I could "rent" one from the service department; though I doubt they'd have the H6 for that.

But again, just the responses have let me know that I'm probably OK. Figured as much but it's nice to hear (read).

Was in the mountains today (driving from SC to OH) going uphill behind a UPS double trailer in the left lane and the truck was barely doing 80. Hopped into the left lane and punched it up to 95 and passed with ease.

I would love to track down one I could rent for a few days, but the only thing I've found are impreza's and WRXs ... I do wonder if I could "rent" one from the service department; though I doubt they'd have the H6 for that.

Not sure where you're at, but have you checked Turo? That might be your best bet in terms of actually renting one.

As for a dealer having one, you may be surprised. I know my local dealer has a few listed for sale that were service loaners or demo cars. Last time I had a loaner car from my dealer, I filled out normal car rental paperwork that just said I was paying $0 per day, so you may be able to convince a dealer to rent one to you for a couple of days.

Having driven my 2.5 through the western mountains three times the 2.5 will not do 75 or 80 ( I 90, I 40 and I 80 ) up some of those 4% to 6% grades without the engine sounding like it will fly apart at 5K or more RPM. Even on flat ground you have to have lots of room passing semi trucks on two lane roads. Since your living in the mountains go for the 3.6

sorry, i meant right lane.

and MPH.

Yes, I speed. I don't deny it. The car seems to get better mpgs between 60-70 but I can't drive that slow. This is the one thing I never cite for. The last speeding ticket I wrote has to be over 15 years ago. I don't have radar in my car and I never use the laser when working.

I pretty much did 85-90 through Virginia. I passed a few people. SC and NC were 80mph. WV was variable. Once I got back in Ohio, I locked cruise in at 75 and left it there. Ohio troopers give you 5mph.

Only slowed down through the tunnels and construction.

Last time we did this trip, it was pretty much the same.

GPS says eight hours which means that's the time to beat.

Seemed everyone was in a hurry.

:spin:

Virginia police can ticket you for reckless driving even if you are not being reckless. This really sucks because it is not just a simple traffic violation, but a class one misdemeanor, similar to a DUI. Not only our draconian Virginia State Police, but Sheriffs and local police can ticket you.

Virginia Code 46.2-862: A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

They absolutely love nailing out-of-state drivers with this because they figure it will go uncontested. In one holiday weekend, they issued over 2,200 reckless driving tickets and almost 10,000 speeding tickets.

One of the worst aspects of living in Virginia is the overbearing law enforcement.

Virginia police can ticket you for reckless driving even if you are not being reckless. This really sucks because it is not just a simple traffic violation, but a class one misdemeanor, similar to a DUI. Not only our draconian Virginia State Police, but Sheriffs and local police can ticket you.

Virginia Code 46.2-862: A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

They absolutely love nailing out-of-state drivers with this because they figure it will go uncontested. In one holiday weekend, they issued over 2,200 reckless driving tickets and almost 10,000 speeding tickets.

One of the worst aspects of living in Virginia is the overbearing law enforcement.

Virginia is gay and their 'reckless driving' scam is a result of a corrupt triad of law enforcement, traffic lawyers, and local municipalities. $$$. East coast drivers in general are terrible in most respects - VA, NC, MD are the chief idiots.

3.6 H6 is a good motor. The CVT makes driving the 3.6 akin to having sex with a doll instead of a real live woman. The idiots at Subaru who decided this generation shouldnt have a manual should be beaten to within an inch of their life.

An H6 Legacy with the 6spd from a WRX would be a formidable vehicle for its class. As it is, with the CVT, the H6 is a decent powerplant. You will still get whipped by real cars, but will easily handle the vast swaths of econoboxes and minivans clogging up the road.

Here I am with my 2.5i. I needed a car at the time I got it and it was at a decent price, looking back I wish I got a 3.6R or WRX. To be honest after I get a new job I'll be leaving the Legacy scene and going over to get the WRX (Non-STI). I love the Legacy don't get me wrong but I just want a manual, smaller than the Legacy, and with power...the regular WRX fits that bill and wont kill my pocket book.

I pretty much have to floor the 2.5i to pass anyone when we are at highway speeds 65+, and when I go to the mountains which is frequently the small engine really shows.

Sorry I'm late to the responses but will chime in regardless to echo what many others have said, the H6 is the way to go if you do a lot of highway or mountain driving.

The H6 is a dog out of the hole but once it's rolling it goes like hell. I'm impressed nearly daily with the 50 mph to 90 mph get up and go the car has. Plenty of power, enough to really highlight the 2.5's short comings. I'm keeping my H6 until the next test drive blows it away.

I did drive the 2.5 and was disappointed (except for the good mileage) before getting the H6. I found it underpowered, with more vibration than the H6. The real kicker is the performance, especially if you carry sports gear like bikes and kayaks. The 2.5 is painful on mountain roads (and even hilly roads), and you have to push it to go 70-75 heading up north with said equipment onboard. Our '05 outback is the XT turbo which we bought after struggling with the 2.5 in the previous wagon (and BTW, the horsepower has not really increased any appreciable amount over the old engines). It's your preference of course; the H6 is smoother in all aspects of driving than the 2.5er, but you're going to get 23-28 mpg in my 20K miles experience depending on usage. Just my 2 cents...

3.6 H6 is a good motor. The CVT makes driving the 3.6 akin to having sex with a doll instead of a real live woman. The idiots at Subaru who decided this generation shouldnt have a manual should be beaten to within an inch of their life.

An H6 Legacy with the 6spd from a WRX would be a formidable vehicle for its class. As it is, with the CVT, the H6 is a decent powerplant. You will still get whipped by real cars, but will easily handle the vast swaths of econoboxes and minivans clogging up the road.

I actually find my 5EAT quite acceptable for what it is. They could have used the 6 speed auto from the BRZ but it's probably not built to handle the torque and HP. I can't say much for the CVT but seeing the power comparison between those and the 5EAT, makes me want to never know what it's like in person. Whenever I leave my 2011, I'll probably end up getting a 2014.

Restrictions are driving cars to being more bland. Won't be long before we'll have 1.5L turbo boxer engines.

I actually find my 5EAT quite acceptable for what it is. They could have used the 6 speed auto from the BRZ but it's probably not built to handle the torque and HP. I can't say much for the CVT but seeing the power comparison between those and the 5EAT, makes me want to never know what it's like in person. Whenever I leave my 2011, I'll probably end up getting a 2014.

Restrictions are driving cars to being more bland. Won't be long before we'll have 1.5L turbo boxer engines.

I've driven my father's 2011 3.6R Limited with the 5EAT. I absolutely prefer my 2016 with the CVT. The vehicle overall has a much better driving experience from a comfort perspective, and I personally feel like the CVT is quicker to get on the power when you stomp on the gas than the 5EAT.

My 3 year 52k average mpg is 23.2. lots of city driving and i speed. This car has saved me a lot on gas. My last car ('09 bmw 328xi) got me 17mpg average running premium gas.[/quote

I took delivery in Nov 2016 and kept track of my mileage through July 16, 2017. I put on 6537 miles and averaged 24.0MPG. The lifetime MPG on the computer has shown the MG about 1.5 to 1.6 MPG higher. I no longer keep track and just assume I am getting 1.5MPG less than what the computer shows. The last 10 recorded fills I average an actual 24.5 MPG. This was from March through July 17.

I live in Connecticut. I use the air-conditioner as little as possible, but used it more than unusual this summer, as we had some very hot weather. My guess is that highway driving was at least 60% with country, city and mixed about 40%. Over the last few months I am using adaptive cruise contol a lot. On the highway, I set it at 65 MPH and typically do not drive faster than that.

I find the 3.6 has more than enough power and is a smooth fine engine. Love the CVT.

I find the 3.6 has more than enough power and is a smooth fine engine. Love the CVT.

Fully agree.

As mentioned many times the 2.5 isn't nearly as smooth. It sounds like piston skirts are clacking when cold and feels like is missing a cylinder as well. Only after it warms up does it smooth out any at all and power come back. Even warm it's a dog in mountains and if one needs a speedy pass he'd do good to wait for more room. "Speedy" and passing isn't to be used in the same sentence with the 2.5. My .02.

Archived