LegacyGT.com

2012 Legacy Steering Wheel/tires vibration

I'm trying to find out what is causing my tires and steering wheel to vibrate every time I turn the steering wheel. I replaced the power steering pump and the racking and pinion looks fine (no leaks or other visible issues). I also replaced the fluid and bled the system but that did not help.

Any help you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQeltlj-nnI

I'm trying to find out what is causing my tires and steering wheel to vibrate every time I turn the steering wheel. I replaced the power steering pump and the racking and pinion looks fine (no leaks or other visible issues). I also replaced the fluid and bled the system but that did not help.

Any help you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQeltlj-nnI

I would have started with the ball joints and strut mount bearing. But that's me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Not sure you want Subaru ATF per se. Dexron III, standard ATF, is what you want. And it very well could be your issue. What did you have in there before you changed out the PS pump? Are you sure the belts aren't slipping?

I purchased the car used and I don't know what it had before, the fluid was at minimum so I decided to add more thinking that was the problem but that did nothing. I went ahead and replaced the pump because the old one was also making some weird noises but before all that I installed an aftermarket belt tensioner, I did not think about it until you mentioned the belt slipping. Can the tensioner cause these kind of issues?

Can the tensioner cause these kind of issues?

Yes. If the pump slows down via belt slip then your going to loose pressure and that will make the rack do what you see it doing, that and air in the system. I say your post on the other noise, I think you need to bleed the system more. Are you bleeding it with the cap off? There is only one place for air to escape and that's out the reservoir.

Also, as FLlegacy pointed out, worn out suspension components put undue stress on the system. So check it all out.

• 1 year later...
The issue i seem to be having is that at around 70-80 mph on highway when taking long right hand curves that require turning the steering wheel at about 15-20° i get hard vibration from front end and goes away every time when i release wheel or reduce steering angle. I know i had slight bend on wheel so i moved it to the back after balancing them. Still same problem? Thoughts?

• 1 year later...