LegacyGT.com

VF40 oil drain pipe

Guy and gals, I do apologize if my question is answered in some sticky, but I just came in from wrestling with my replacement turbo. I'm hot and tired and lacking the energy to do any more searching (I did try).

I am transferring the required bits from the old turbo to the new one (i.e. pipes). I have all the little crush washers and a new rubber section of the oil drain pipe with the new clamps, but it never dawned on me I'd need a gasket for the oil drain pipe flange to the turbo. Can someone please give me the factory part number or a source for a suitable replacement? When I asked this question before, but about the rubber pipe, someone very kindly linked a high quality diagram that had all of the factory part numbers for each part. I tried to find that thread, but failed.

Thanks in advance

H2OSB

Thx guys. Yes after posting my thread, I kept searching and found the thread I referenced...alas, they don't even list the oil drain flange, much less the gasket for it.

Thanks, Infosecdad, I'll have a look at that

H2OSB

Infosecdad, thanks again for the link. That gasket was indeed the correct part I needed, thus I bought one.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/felpro-turbo-mounting-gasket-set-es-72811/3504301-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=3504301-P&c3apidt=23534110107&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_t2Bwp_L1QIVjDyBCh3PsgyqEAQYAiABEgJmBfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Back in the day of turbo Honda's one tip was a 1982 Ford thunderbird turbo coupe turbo gasket set. Search for that.

Most any auto parts store will have that oil return flange gasket.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks Max. I did order a gasket, but I wished I'd known what you posted before hand. I need to get my car back together and am VERY close to having everything I need (for example, I found a split in the turbo air inlet hose). I got a little panicky when I was stopped by the one small gasket.

H2OSB

Another tip is go buy a a slightly longer piece of oil drain hose. I took my stock drain hose to my local NAPA and bought a 7 inch piece installed that on the drain with the clamp then when installing the turbo it was LOADS easier to seat the drain hard line in the rubber hose that is the WORST part about the turbo install.

Another tip is go buy a a slightly longer piece of oil drain hose. I took my stock drain hose to my local NAPA and bought a 7 inch piece installed that on the drain with the clamp then when installing the turbo it was LOADS easier to seat the drain hard line in the rubber hose that is the WORST part about the turbo install.

UGH! :spin:

I see how this would be helpful as you're dropping the turbo in place. I wish I'd seen this before. I bought a new oil pan and cooler, so foolishly also bought the factory tube since I was there. I didn't think it was ultra expensive, but WAY more than a piece of tubing at the local auto parts place. I'm just going to make my teenage son lay under the car and guide the tubing in place.

H2OSB

I heard horror stories as well; when I did it, I got in in place on the second try. I put the hose on the turbo and then carefully seated it on the drain line. Honestly took me just a few min to get the VF-52 seated and could start hooking things up. Hopefully it goes smoothly for you as well.

Archived