LegacyGT.com

Tuning Questions

Hi, I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT that I am getting a new shortblock and redoing the heads. After the work is done I want to modestly upgrade the car until I get a new daily driver. Is it safe to run a stage 1 Cobb tune with my cattless downpipe and my greddy exhaust. Will it hurt the engine or should I keep it at stage 2. My main concern is I don't want to screw up the work I just did with the stage 2 tune . I don't beat on cars it's just the owner before me did beat on this and now I have to get it back to normal.

Thanks guys!!!

Stage 2 is appropriate if you have an aftermarket downpipe. Just go easy on the car until you are comfortable being more aggressive.

Running stage 1 in your configuration could lead to damage due to overboost and detonation.

Didn't you already ask this a few days ago? You don't believe what people said the first time? :)

Yep, what MilesA said. You need to be stage 2 tune.

Most of us have learned that a real Tune from someone like www.tuningalliance.com is much better and safer. Tell him I sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry, not trying to be snarky, just joking around. This idea has come up several times recently from different people - a Stage 1 tune is "milder" so it must be easier on the car than Stage 2, right? Well, not really. The stages refer to the components you have installed on the car, and the tune needs to match them. Plus, off-the-shelf maps are a compromise, as Max was saying. You have to choose the closest one if you use off-the-shelf.

I agree with your answer to his question and am just rustling your jimmies.

Ideally OP would get a pro-tune. Either on a dyno, road tune, or E-tune from one of the reputable vendors on here. (Cryotune or Tuning Alliance)

Archived