LegacyGT.com

Airbag Light - Help

So the AirBag light in the dash comes on and stays on pretty consistently now. I'd like to fix this. Are there any common causes to the problem that I should check?

Also, it looks like the cheapest AirBag code reader I can find is $130 on Ebay. Does anyone have experience with a good AirBag code reader that they can recommend to me?

Car is a 2008 Legacy, with the 2.5 N/A engine, 108,000 miles.

Thanks!

Thanks, I will try the solder fix before buying anything.

Thanks for the offer 08SpecB, but i'm in Kentucky.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Unless you just like wasting time and money, do not "fix" a problem you haven't diagnosed. Pulling the code is the only way to start. With a little savvy eBaying, you can get a dirt cheap price on a Launch CRP123, or hook up with a local automotive Facebook group or forum to find someone who'll let you use their scanner.

P.S. a good scanner is an investment you'll never regret.

Unless you just like wasting time and money, do not "fix" a problem you haven't diagnosed. Pulling the code is the only way to start. With a little savvy eBaying, you can get a dirt cheap price on a Launch CRP123, or hook up with a local automotive Facebook group or forum to find someone who'll let you use their scanner.

Fortunately, 95% of the cases for the Legacy SRS dash light can be diagnosed very easily. If the overhead/map light "airbag on/off" lights don't illuminate normally (i.e. half-dim or only half of the lights on), then it's 100% certain the issue is the solder joints in the map light, which requires 15 minutes and $0 to repair. Nearly every Legacy made from 05-09 will see this failure at some point after 7+ years and 100k+ miles.

But if those lights always act correctly and display at the right brightness, then I agree that they will need to read the code to properly diagnose it. But for those 95% of cases where it's easy to diagnose, I think it would be a waste of time and money to bother investing in or tracking down an SRS code scanner.

However, some recent examples of the SRS throwing a fault that required a code scanner are gimpydingo's example above, and another person who had messed up something with the steering wheel clock spring when they were swapping the steering wheel.

I tried the solder fix on my 08 2.5i but no change. I agree with the above if the LEDs in the overhead console are dim then this is the easy fix to resolder them. Mine all of the lights appeared to function properly. What SRS scan tool(s) have people been using to diagnose this type of issue?

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread.

I swapped my cloth seats in my 05 OBXT with some leather jobs I found in the scrap yard. One of the SRS plugs on the driver's seat list it's retaining clip when I took it apart so I tried zip tying it together. Buttoned everything up and the light stayed off so I figured it was an acceptable fix. Next day the light starts intermittently coming on but can be sometimes turned off with a power cycle. Now it just stays on all the time. I took the time to de-pin the the connector that was cut at the scrap yard and replace it with a good one. Now my airbag light stays on.

My questions are these. Should the code reset itself if the condition is cleared? Do the codes "survive" a battery disconnection? Am I going to have to visit the dealer to get this sorted out?

Worth noting: the Outback doesn't have the overhead passenger indicator like the Legacy does so no easy fix there...

• 4 weeks later...
I pulled the code for my airbag lamp with one of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TL5PMLW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). In my case, for Code 26, I re-soldered all four flat black resistors onto the passenger airbag indicator circuit board (inside the map light housing) and the problem was fixed. This video (
) gave me an excellent walk-thru.

I swapped my cloth seats in my 05 OBXT with some leather jobs I found in the scrap yard. One of the SRS plugs on the driver's seat list it's retaining clip when I took it apart so I tried zip tying it together. Buttoned everything up and the light stayed off so I figured it was an acceptable fix. Next day the light starts intermittently coming on but can be sometimes turned off with a power cycle. Now it just stays on all the time. I took the time to de-pin the the connector that was cut at the scrap yard and replace it with a good one. Now my airbag light stays on.

When I encountered this phenomenon with a driver seat side airbag module code I just cut out all of that connector business and just soldered the wires together. Problem hasn't returned since.

I'm not paying $1300 for a new interior wiring harness plus $130/hr labor to rebuild the interior.

One like this ?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2VF1ER7479&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-AUTOZON-_-AT+-+Diagnostic+%26+Test+Tools-_-9SIA2VF1ER7479&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImr3N__iF3wIVWMDICh2Tew1sEAkYAiABEgIkpPD_BwE

Found this link to a tool in the other Air Bag thread, see post 245 here, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/airbag-light-sometimes-console-problemi-149073p7.html

https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-i903-Diagnostic-Multi-System-compatible/dp/B00TL5PMLW?tag=viglink20901-20#customerReviews

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I pulled the code for my airbag lamp with one of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TL5PMLW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). In my case, for Code 26, I re-soldered all four flat black resistors onto the passenger airbag indicator circuit board (inside the map light housing) and the problem was fixed. This video (
) gave me an excellent walk-thru.

Product is currently unavailable. May I ask how much you paid in $USD? I live in Canada.

I also fixed that problem with the MAP light, but I have two others codes. LH Buckle switch failure and ODS (passenger side) Is it worth fixing these? My OCD is kicking in a little. Should I get it from the wreckers?

These are the airbag stuff that I may need:

1) Airbag rear harness along with body harness

2) Occupant detection harness (seat harness)

3) Occupant detection system (Seat cushion and frame assembly)

4) Airbag control module (in the center dash where the AC controls are)

5) Seat belt buckle switch

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/do-these-airbag-codes-mean-276441.html?t=276441

http://i67.tinypic.com/aktu1i.jpg

Product is currently unavailable. May I ask how much you paid in $USD? I live in Canada.

??? Amazon is currently showing 8 iCarsoft i903 units in stock. Try accessing the U.S. site (use an American VPN to do it if necessary). I paid $130 USD ($173 CAD) for mine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well I haven't fixed anything yet causing my light to come on. My light actually went off in it's own and hasn't been on for more than a year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The air bag lamp still comes on for a few seconds at startup, yes?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk