LegacyGT.com

Please Assist - 05 OBXT 5AT to Spec B 6MT ECU/ Wiring Puzzle

Hello!

I converted my 05 OBXT from 5AT to 6MT with a Spec B drive train about 1.5 years ago. Currently I always have p0773 and p0705 (shift solenoid E and Transmission Range sensor) codes and what feels like a car that doesn't know it's got a manual transmission.

I have searched hard for over a year off an on and read extensively and tried things and have not yet been successful (to the level I'd like) nor have I found answers I need (hence validity of why I am posting).

Questions:

How can I make my car feel more like a Spec B?

Do I flash a different configuration to my ECU altogether? Would this make it think it's a manual?

Do I Ground a pin on my ECU to make it think it's a manual then just try to match all the tables in romraider on my existing maps to match that of a spec B?

Perhaps the right question I'm not even asking because I'm unaware of it.

Do I have the option of disconnecting my TCU or would this cause issues.

Basically the hard work is done and working well but my 04 FXT that is 5MT clearly feels like it knows it's a manual when for example accelerating from being stopped.

If the answer is grounding a pin on the ECU, than pin has no wire currently and I've tried to remedy that unsuccessfully. I can look at a Spec B map and manually change my values to match, but this wouldn't make mine a think it's a manual by it's self.

I was going to try to neutralize the listed transmission codes by doing something with the AT gear select lever wire harness connector B116 with it's 10 pins, then I thought that might be unnecessary if I can flash the ECU with a whole different setup to where it thinks it's a manual- but again I don't know if that's possible.

Please advise, thank you! :confused:

I flashed the latest MT 2005 OBXT ROM successfully and notice some tune improvement. However the 2 transmission codes have had no change. I'm thinking I might need to remove the TCU but not sure yet how to do that. I've heard that it requires some rewiring of shared circuits rather than just ripping it out.

I would love it if someone who knows about this could shed some light.

Granted I haven't done it before, but I was under the impression that standard practice was to swap to the MT ECU and key when doing an auto-to-manual swap, specifically for these reasons. I know it's possible to swap immobilizers (or just go to the dealer and have them re-program it to match your keys), so I think your best bet would be to track down an MT ECU and swap them.

I disconnected my TCM (after of course days ago flashing the MT ROM to my ECU) and now I do not have transmission CEL's/ Codes! I thought I had to rewire some of the shared circuits but I guess not except for maybe cruise control which doesn't seem to do anything. But I haven't had it working since I swapped to a 6 speed and I don't have both time and money for long straight freeway drives, so I don't really care- or it's not worth worrying about till something changes if ever with my need for it.

So I guess I'm good. Though I didn't really find any help on this and from what I've seen in little online hints, there are multiple ways of handling the wiring after physically doing the swap. This way seems to work. Just flash an MT rom, and disconnect the TCM :-)

Still open to any advice if it could better my car's condition.

Archived