LegacyGT.com

In-Cubby DVD/In-Cubby Stereo- Stock look?

executor485

Ok, I havent seen anything relating to this on the forums yet. I could be completely mistaken though.

Anyways, many people want to have an after-market stereo system in their car but they dont want to deal with the (IMHO) ugly 2 stereo look. So what do we do? If we have the ACC, there really isnt any way to avoid this right now. So, I have a suggestion/idea. I dont have the money for this yet, but I would LOVE to try this out just to see how it works.

Ok, on to my idea. The cubby, while used for storage right now, and others have used it for stereo's, ipods, ect, in the Navigation models has the unit instead. I personally think the navigation looks fairly nice and wouldnt give a 2 stereo look/feel, reason being... its navigation. Well, What if you had an in-dash DVD screen that wasnt a flip screen but more or less like http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14436&langId=-1

this screen. Now, I'm not sure if the cubby is large enough to accomidate this screen. It might be, but if not it would require the time/temp/inst panel to be moved to the cigarette tray by using http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?products_id=302

to relocate the info panel to the ashtray, then getting the dual DIN console

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_187&products_id=301

and installing the screen there.

I have seen one install that used a flip screen, but it still has the illusion of a 2 stereo system, which I dont quite like.

Now, I realize not many people have the money to do this upgrade, I know I sure dont. But it is a possibility for a "somewhat stock" looking system.

Now you may be wondering what the heck you will do now with that huge ugly stock stereo, well, there are AUX inputs on the DVD unit. You can use the stocker as a 6disc CD player. But thats just a thought.

Now, for the final thing. Some states, it is ILLEGAL to have a visible screen from the drivers seat. SO, what do you do about that? This DVD unit that I have suggested does not have a built in navigation. SO, a cop see's the screen and pulls you over for it. What this DVD does have is an SD card slot. So... if you want, you could put a JPEG, AVI, MPEG or something similar on the SD card that has pictures of what a Navigation console would have. They look at it, your good to go... see officer, its a navigation unit. Yes, that is bad of me to say, but its a bypass if you cant afford the outrageously expensive navigation units.

Price total for this idea:

DVD - $800 ish... depends on the dealer, sales, ect. (btw, love it... its a touch screen, MP3, DVD, MPEG, ect... LOTS of options for a decent price IMHO)

Info relocation - $187

Dual DIN - $260

As opposed to the $2000 Navigation package from Subaru. For that price, you could even buy a more expensive DVD with navigation and such built in.

This idea MAY have been posted already. I have not seen this idea, similar ones, but not quite this. This would be my suggestion (and maybe someday reality for me) for people who want an after-market stereo but with a "somewhat stock" look and feel to it. I have not actually done this yet, but from what I have seen, this would be a very reasonable alternative. I especially like it for the fact that it has MP3 capablities, but also, AUX inputs as well... SO essentially, you could add a cable to hook to your Ipod as well, and you still have an extra 12V plug in your armrest for the Ipod power.

Anyways, I hope that this isnt a re-post, and that it may be helpful for anyone who is looking for alternatives to their stereo.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was actually thinking along the same lines. The issues I have with this are..1) relocating the info panel to the ashtray seems to be a bitch, I've heard mixed reviews on this & there's some issue with the airbag light. 2) I'm not sure that the flip up screen will open using the D-Din piece. I'm no expert by far so I'd be very interested to hear if someone has made this work.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I was actually thinking along the same lines. The issues I have with this are..1) relocating the info panel to the ashtray seems to be a bitch, I've heard mixed reviews on this & there's some issue with the airbag light. 2) I'm not sure that the flip up screen will open using the D-Din piece. I'm no expert by far so I'd be very interested to hear if someone has made this work.

1.) I am not sure about relocating the info panel. I have heard its doable, but I havent actually done it, so it is possible its a pain.

2.) If you take a look at the DVD unit that I have suggested for this specific one, it is actually not a flip up screen. Its a permenant screen. The reason I dont like the flip up, is that most flip up's still look like an additional stereo installed. I really like the look of just the in dash screen as a non-flip for the fact that it somewhat gives the illusion of the navigation panel instead of a second stereo. But these are just my thoughts on it.

I definately agree I would love to see this. And I promise, if I had the $ to install it, I would be MORE than happy to post pics and such. So, if anyone has more money and time than they know what to do with, I would love to see this :)

Maybe if/when I get a tax return... but more than likely that tax return will go towards paying it off or updating the house or paying bills or something :)

I'm missing something. If the screen doesnt flip up, how do you load cd's?
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

not sure if this would help but this guy did a really cool mod to his computer adding a little 6 inch screen where a CD-ROM drive would go it pulls out and flips up. here is a link that explains how he did it:http://casemodgod.com/Howto-story--35.html it mght be helpful to just see it and maybe get some ideas from it. there are actually a few other howto's on the site to install the screen in other ways but i think personally this one is the coolest.

I'm missing something. If the screen doesnt flip up, how do you load cd's?

Have you ever seen how a chameleon stereo loads the cd's? The face/screen, will actually slide so that you can load them behind the face/screen. But, it doesnt flip up like the in-dash screen's do. I will try and find a picture and post it. Its very sleek though IMHO.

not sure if this would help but this guy did a really cool mod to his computer adding a little 6 inch screen where a CD-ROM drive would go it pulls out and flips up. here is a link that explains how he did it:http://casemodgod.com/Howto-story--35.html it mght be helpful to just see it and maybe get some ideas from it. there are actually a few other howto's on the site to install the screen in other ways but i think personally this one is the coolest.

Thanks for that... It looks to be a good place to get some idea's for this. Maybe to get just a screen in there, and then have a DVD somewhere else (glove box or something). Probably not something I wanna use personally, but could be very useful for someone else :)

http://www.greghome.com/images/Delta-88%20Pics/Stereo%20Mods/JVC_KD-SX940_Flip-Down_Faceplate.jpg

This is the closest thing I have found to explain what I mean by loading the CD behind the screen/face.

On the actual DVD unit, the screen slides down and out and then lays flat. All motorized. In this pic, the screen just folds down, but just imagine the whole thing being bigger and if this was a picture of it, you could see the screen and what was displayed on the screen from this angle.

EDIT: Also, when the screen is down like this, you load the SD card back there too. The SD card has a spot just below the CD load spot. My only complaint with the DVD unit would be that it doesnt support a wide variety of memory sticks. But then again... an in-dash screen with this many features (touch screen, DVD, MP3, WMA, JPEG, MPEG, AVI, Aux in, Front and rear pre-outs, Sub pre-out, and more) for less than $800 is a bargin.

right, I understand how you mean about the chameleon face. What I'm saying is that if you put one of these HU's behind the D-din cubby there wont be room for the screen to slide open b/c of the upright end pieces unless it fits in between those pieces, which is what I'm getting at. To mount a screen behind it wouldn't work. In between would work. Since the single din's go in between, maybe it works the same way.

Ah, I get what you are saying now I think. Took me a bit to get where you are coming from :)

I think that there would be enough room in-between the D-Din area for the screen to slide. It looks like the screen actually has a fair bit of clearance on the sides and top and bottom that it wouldnt be a problem.

It would definately be something to look at though. I hadn't thought of that. If I do end up getting all the stuff, I will definately have to post the results. It would be very nice if there were a place I could go to look at all the items before I bought them all (I have only seen the DVD unit, not the D-Din faceplate and the info relocation kit). Then I could definately say whether it would work or not.

Right. I'm just saying b/c I've been thinking the exact same thing, that a full d-din display would look better than a single din in the cubby. If it fit in between the upright parts that would be great. The only other issue then would be the info panel relocator. I really have only browsed over the discussions on that but from what I understand the wire for the airbag sensor wont reach & cant be plugged into the jdm adaptor (someone correct me if I'm wrong please). Also, we'd prob have to order the usdm nav cubby since the jdm ones are for RHD & wont fit right. If this could be done I'd be all over it. I'm really just trying to find out a definitive answer to this. If it could be done I'd put one of these in http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4Yj4EDLVQ7d/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&id=morephotos&pi=1&i=113DDX8017&display=L#Tab I think that would look awesome.

Come on what? I agree there should be a way to replaec the HVAC with a new one but there isn't. What is & what should be are 2 totally different things. I spoke to SOA about it & they politely told me it's not gonna happen. I'm trying to figure out how to work around that & a DD in the cubby space would be perfect if you could relocate the info panel to the ashtray, provided the DD space is wide enough to allow the screen to slide out.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20343&highlight=Ashtray

Post #10.

This is an actual picture of ADaniel's info panel in the ashtray. He said that it barely reaches down there. So, this is "possible" but I dont know all the complications he had with it and such. So PMing him for information or seeing if he did a walkthrough might be an option.

Like I said, I am not sure exactly how the DVD would fit in the D-Din bracket, it seems/looks like it would fit, but I am not 100% sure.

I love the Kenwood, but I am not sure if that one would fit it. It almost looks like the whole screen is flush with the case, so I dont know if it would open. But, yet again, I am no expert on this. The eclipse looks nice too... I like the fact that it has the built in HD for music and Nav. Both of these are out of my price range though ;)

I will try and help you research it coxx, I would love to see one installed... *starts drooling*

If only there was somewhere that actually had all the parts to look at first hand and not just pictures.

If anything, thegodfather mentioned just having a screen there instead. That is another possibility, with maybe a DVD, CD, Changer/something... located either in the glove box, trunk, or somewhere like that. But that kinda defeats the purpose of having an actual unit in the cubby, but it is an alternative thought. Especially if the DVD doesnt mount properly :S

Pic of Audiovox VM9020TS:

http://www.audiovox.com/images/products_large/VM9020TSclosed_y.jpg

Pic of AVO Info Panel relocation Bracket:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/images/300_info_panel001.jpg

Pic of AVO Double DIN Console Panel:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/images/300_doubledin001.jpg

This looks like a really good idea too me.

I've been keeping this idea in the back of my head for a while. I'm running this setup right now http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20523 for my sirius but it's a wired FM mod. Sound quality isnt all there but it's decent. I've been considering putting the single din cubby setup but I've been mulling over a way to do the d-din setup like the kenwood with the relocation panel. It's encouraging that someone did an info panel relocation. Also, we can get the usdm d-din cubby now that nav is a factory option. If one of those d-din units would fit, I'd be willing to spend the dough to do it. Just need to be sure.

You know, I just looked at the size of that double din thing today in a outback I think, and it didn't look big enough. If you figure, the screen alone on those things is 6 1/2 inches, plus the extra inch and a half of buttons, = 8 inch diagonal, thats to big for that din.

You know, I just looked at the size of that double din thing today in a outback I think, and it didn't look big enough. If you figure, the screen alone on those things is 6 1/2 inches, plus the extra inch and a half of buttons, = 8 inch diagonal, thats to big for that din.

Im not 100% sure on the sizes and all. I would have to see one in person and measure the units and such. I am hoping that it would work, but definately would hate to be hosed by dishing out over a grand and finding out it wouldnt work.

sure is.. thats the way id do it..

I sell a variety of brands that would work with your set-up at my shop.

Be sure to make another post when you get the funds.

Well, I have the funds but I'm reluctant to spend anything on it unless I can be 100% sure it'll work. This is the setup I've been wanting. I really think a DD HU would be the best looking out of all the options. Would look less like 2 radios (even though it is). I'm not gonna spend $2,000 on a maybe though. I really want to put that DD kenwood in there but the only issue is it needs the room to slide open.

I installed a monitor there

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15230

I think a double din would fit...The double din is the same size as my screen.. I should've thought of that...

That install looks great. I really like how it looks. If the monitor is the same size as a DD HU, that would be AWESOME, the only other concern I could think of if that size is right, is the depth. I havent looked behind the dash/cubby to see if it would be deep enough to accomidate some of the DD HU. I know that some HU are VERY deep. Other than that... I cant wait :)

That install looks great. I really like how it looks. If the monitor is the same size as a DD HU, that would be AWESOME, the only other concern I could think of if that size is right, is the depth. I havent looked behind the dash/cubby to see if it would be deep enough to accomidate some of the DD HU. I know that some HU are VERY deep. Other than that... I cant wait :)

I'd figure if a single din fits depth-wise, so would a double (again correct me if I'm wrong someone). I'm glad we're making some progress here. I agree that if that LCD screen fits for width, so should a D-Din. I'm really itching to do this. Maybe I should look up the dimensions & measure the cubby when I get some free time so I can get a clearer idea of how this would work. (still pining for the kenwood b/c it's dvd, nav, sat radio.)

(still pining for the kenwood b/c it's dvd, nav, sat radio.)

I def agree with you there. The kenwood is a sweet setup. But for myself, I cant put out that much on a HU :icon_frow So the Jensen would be my alternative.

As for the depth, it should fit... But, I have seen some DD HU that are a fair bit deeper than the regular single HU. But, thats not to say all are like that. And also, with a single D HU, you can somewhat get around if things arent just so so for it to fit in there exactly. With a DD, there really isnt a lot of play in the way you can mount them in there. For example, in my Dodge Caravan, I put my single D HU in there, it had to be wriggled around and maneuvered in just right. There would have been no way to fit a DD in it because of all the junk they have behind it sticking every which way. Just another thing to look at and make sure of before you dish out the $.

Archived