LegacyGT.com

I am Jones'n for the Cobb SF intake

firedawgs

I suppose you are right about 9/10 intakes requiring accompanying tuning if they are poorly designed.

Didn't realize most leggy intakes replace the maf housing, I was under the impression they only replaced the airbox.

I did take a few looks under the hood, but not in the airbox, I also didn't see too many pics of intake system for the Legacy.

Most of the ones I did see pics of (for other cars) and the ones I've owned myself usually connect to the oem maf and head down a fender.

• 2 months later...

Just an update, cobbs intake wont' be out for a bit.......All CAI's should be tuned for this car...it's real finiky with its air supply.....

But if you are up for a tune.......I made my own using their housing, and a perrin tube....

We call it the Pobb intake ;)

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/Pictures/Cobb_CAI/Large/DSC02925.JPG

So here is the long answer long. We have been looking to get our intake design make with a polymer or plastic resin (similar to the stock air box material) due to its low thermal conductivity, reduced weight, simplified final product (1 piece vs. 3 pieces) etc. We have run into some (what I call) logical delays because the tooling costs are tremendous for this new design; we really need to make this next revision counts. ;) We would like to be able to make all of the Subaru intakes with the same tool that has a core insert for the tooling that will produce internal diameters that are specific to each vehicle. We are developing and testing new intercooler and intercooler piping configurations on various Subaru models so we need to see what chassis are going to need to have the intake/MAF housing/mounting bracket/filter re-designed so it fits and functions properly. Now here comes my borage of excuses. This development and testing process is going to take several weeks, we will be in Japan for 1 ½ weeks this month, we have several races starting in early March, the ETA for a prototype is 8-11 weeks, after approval the production units will take 6-8 weeks to arrive, after we get the initial production units they are going to have to go through our internal quality control, we will need time to package, then I will need to load each and every vehicle on the dyno and road test to verify/modify each map, compose and publish new map notes, bla, bla, bla. Please take into account we are doing all of this just to make a better product for our clients…this intake is in process, but will most likely take until 2nd or 3rd quarter of this year until they will be ready for sale. I hope I was able to inform more than I pissed off ;)

Take care,

Christian.

I would expect nothing less from Cobb, it takes time to do it right... Keep up the good work... :)

Exactly - you can do it one of two ways - rush it to market and then spend a whole lot of time (not to mention increasing your's and the customer's frustration) "fixing" the things that were not right about the rushed product. Or, you can engineer it and make it right the first time so that you can enjoy the sweet fruit that comes from making and selling a quality product. All of the pre-production frustrations go away and the customer is ultimately much, much happier.

Cobb is a small operation with a great track record for engineering and building Subaru-specific performance parts that are race-tested. They may be over-engineered to some, but they are exactly the products I want to put on my car - you earn my business with each product you produce. Keep up the great work.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived