LegacyGT.com

I am Jones'n for the Cobb SF intake

firedawgs

I have been looking for a intake for a while now. I have my heart set on the Cobb SF intake. When is this intake coming out? It is supossed to be the only intake that does not cause MF issues. The price is going to be somewhere around $185. Here is a picture of the SF intake for STi. Maybe Cobb will chime in?

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/3039/sfintakeweb9vz.jpg

I have been looking for a intake for a while now. I have my heart set on the Cobb SF intake. When is this intake coming out? It is supossed to be the only intake that does not cause MF issues.

I know this has been hashed over a hundred times but I have had no probs with my K&N yphoon intake.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

I know this has been hashed over a hundred times but I have had no probs with my K&N yphoon intake.

The problems that an intake can cause are not easily apparant, unless you take logs you won't know if your exhaust temps are high, or your knock correction is pulling timing.

There, thats 101 times now ;)

Tentative date-of-release is this December.

This is from fellow LGTer and good neighbor "mbrink," who contacted Cobb in late Sept. to inquire about this product.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yeah, as Allen said. I spoke to Cobb about a month ago. They have all the drawings developed and ready to go. They are in the process of changing facilities so the process is slowed a little. They expect the product ready to ship in sometime in December. I am patiently waiting too!!!

Yeah, as Allen said. I spoke to Cobb about a month ago. They have all the drawings developed and ready to go. They are in the process of changing facilities so the process is slowed a little. They expect the product ready to ship in sometime in December. I am patiently waiting too!!!

Will the intake, plus the intake map, even help at Stage 1 or is it going to be more for Stage 2 and above?

It was explained to me that the intake will have the same flow characteristcs of the stock air box. I don't know what to think about that. Does that mean there will not be an increase in flow as expected with most intakes? I guess that will maintain the A/F mixture. So am I buying this piece because of the classy fit and finish I can expect from a Cobb product and the new sounds my engine can present? Someone help!!! Explain why having the same flow characteristics of the stock air box is something we desire?

Matt

It was explained to me that the intake will have the same flow characteristcs of the stock air box. I don't know what to think about that. Does that mean there will not be an increase in flow as expected with most intakes? I guess that will maintain the A/F mixture. So am I buying this piece because of the classy fit and finish I can expect from a Cobb product and the new sounds my engine can present? Someone help!!! Explain why having the same flow characteristics of the stock air box is something we desire?

Matt

Bling, bling, bling! I have a theory w/ my car, if it doesn't make it go faster, corner better, or stop better, (ie. PERFORMANCE) I won't buy it. I will NOT spend money on bling.

Bling, bling, bling! I have a theory w/ my car, if it doesn't make it go faster, corner better, or stop better, (ie. PERFORMANCE) I won't buy it. I will NOT spend money on bling.

Silly Homer! Bling makes your car go faster! :icon_tong:icon_bigg

----

To get back on-topic. ;)

Matt, I honestly don't know what Cobb means by "similar flow characteristics."

What I can only guess is that they meant that the SF will not produce what is currently speculated to be turbulence produced by many currently-available aftermarket LGT intakes, which is, in-turn, what's speculated to produce the rather "consistently inconsistent" leaner A/F.

Maybe what they meant to say is that the SF maintains the same non-turbulent flow characteristic of the stock intake, but will flow more?

:icon_ques

Dunno....I guess we'll all just have to wait and find out. :icon_neut

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

TSI, that was my interpretation on the Cobb SF. That the flow characteristics will be similar to the stock box but flow more.

Now, will "flow more" equate to more HP??? If Cobb tunes a Stage 2 map for this intake and can get another 5 HP, I'm all over it for less than $200.

things like intakes don't usually require re-programming

they do have to be engineered right though so as not to botch the metering of air

9/10 intakes DO require rescaling of the mass airdlow chart

lets say the maf for some reason makes the car think its richer unde cruise/ idle the long term fuel trims will be negative as its pulling fuel out to achieve 14.7:1. Then you go WOT and all of a sudden th LTFT is affecting your WOT AFR and its leaner........... BAD mmmmmmkay!!!

some if not all are teh wrong ID as well

shich makes the car think there is less air going into the motor = less load= more timing and less fuel @ that particular load cell = BAD again k?

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

Cobb, Perrin, APS, Invidia, Megan racing and MORE!!

Your #1 source For Subaru / Legacy GT performance parts!

Cobb can build theese scaled to different size turbo flows in inlets and have the MAF stay in range [ 5.0 vDC] . You wil have to scale the ECU accordingly for the different flow rates.

We will soon see if they can scale to 71lb/ min and 4" inlet turbo.

Will at it add a GM 3bar MAP and you can add lots of turbo.

ProTune the whole thing - sound interesting ?

Cobb can build theese scaled to different size turbo flows in inlets and have the MAF stay in range [ 5.0 vDC] . You wil have to scale the ECU accordingly for the different flow rates.

We will soon see if they can scale to 71lb/ min and 4" inlet turbo.

Will at it add a GM 3bar MAP and you can add lots of turbo.

ProTune the whole thing - sound interesting ?

i ran the stock MAF sixed inlet on a Gt35R @420 whp and only got to 4.8V

65/lb min compressor

4" innlet cant be scaled right

the best way is to do blow thru maf

like i did on rauls GT35R

2.80" ID pipe and it is well within the operating range of the maf sensor

not to mention accurate IAT's

AND an un restricted 4" inlet

ill assume you are goint T04R

please pm me some more details ;-)

its a relatively easy tune too

http://www.mdcracing.com/gallery/raul/pictures/32423%20%28Large%29.jpg

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

9/10 intakes DO require rescaling of the mass airdlow chart

lets say the maf for some reason makes the car think its richer unde cruise/ idle the long term fuel trims will be negative as its pulling fuel out to achieve 14.7:1. Then you go WOT and all of a sudden th LTFT is affecting your WOT AFR and its leaner........... BAD mmmmmmkay!!!

some if not all are teh wrong ID as well

shich makes the car think there is less air going into the motor = less load= more timing and less fuel @ that particular load cell = BAD again k?

if we are talking air intakes and not maf bodies I disagree, a intake is most of the time well within the car's ability to adapt.

this is provided it is designed properly and doesn't encourage air to not be metered properly (i.e. removing air flow straighteners or has the air tumbling around the film/hot wire).

you are incorrect

the car CAN adapt to an intake by changing the long term fuel trims.

that in turn affects the whole AFR range (including open loop WOT)

cobb has the only PROPERLY designed MAF housing out there.

I tune Subaru MAF intakes EVERY DAY

you can argue this point with me till the cows come home

but i know the facts i have tuned the facts and i have SUBSTANTIAL evidence

to back up the facts.

If you dont agree ask christian @ cobb what intakes can do

since he trained me on the finer points of intake calibration.

Lets say you bolt on your Perrin intake

and you long term trims "ADAPT" to -5.88 that means that over the whole range

of your MAF the ecu is removing -5.88 meaning its LEANING out the entire map

some times the LTFT is -12 or more

that can be quite a problem

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

this post is about Air intakes, not MAF's so like I said before but spelled out even further:

-If we are talking about a (properly designed - key point) air intake as opposed to the oem airbox, the difference will (more than likely) not be outside of the ECU/MAF's ability to compensate.

-If we are talking about a MAF housing re-tuning will be necc.

If the ECU can adjust for 95F -> 0F days it can adjust for a little bit more air, the key being that it be properly designed

this post is about Air intakes, not MAF's so like I said before but spelled out even further:

-If we are talking about a (properly designed - key point) air intake as opposed to the oem airbox, the difference will (more than likely) not be outside of the ECU/MAF's ability to compensate.

-If we are talking about a MAF housing re-tuning will be necc.

If the ECU can adjust for 95F -> 0F days it can adjust for a little bit more air, the key being that it be properly designed

you dont quite get it

EVERY INTAKE includes a MAF housing

that MAF HOUSING affects the MAF sensor

if the housing is designed right like cobbs

it will work just fine

BUT

ALL the other intakes i have seen and tuned cause an issue

the CLosest to normal was the k&n typhoon short ram i used on magowins car

Do me a favor and look @ EVERY intake for a Legacy or even WRX for that matter

THEY ALL INCLUDE A MAF HOUSING

so when u speak of an INTAKE it automatically includes the MAF HOUSING

and all MAF housing are not the same TRUST me on that one

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

Archived