LegacyGT.com

No power up hill

Hi all, this is My first post but I have found a lot of good info here so thanks to all for that.

My Daughter purchased a 2005 OB XT and it has a problem. It seems to run great on the flat but as soon as you give it gas going up hill it starts to misfire and seems to go into limp mode.

So far I have checked a few sensors, have checked and removed the Banjo bolts including the one behind the timing cover. Thanks for that thread! and there were none in the AVCS solenoids.

Here's what is confusing Me.

The oil between the turbo banjo and the oil solenoid on the right side was black, but the turbo and timing cover banjo were both clean. As is the rest of the oil. I tested the solenoid and it works.

I removed the turbo which is fine but has a little play, so I'm looking for a replacement cartridge for that, and I removed the pre catalyser from the up pipe which was also intact, but may have been blocked.

The car has over 200,000 on it, but was obviously well cared for. I am thinking of getting a Tactrix cable but they are a bit pricey and we are not into tuning at all, it's just a daily driver. I am going to check the timing, but it's the dirty oil which confounds Me.

Sorry for the lengthy discription, but does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on with this car.

Thanks in advance! :)

If your still around here, you may have a vacuum leak. Can you do a boost leak test ?

Cleaning the MAF sensor is always a yearly thing too.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Your very welcome.

You'll found the right place to be for these cars.

Let us know if we can help more.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Have you been able to see what codes are coming up? Autozone or Advance will do it for free.

If you removed the cat from the Up Pipe, you will get a Check Engine Light and code for that for certain. It will require a tune of sorts to turn it off.

look into the btssm app. You will be able to view several ecu parameters. You will also be able to easily see if both avcs are working as they should: you view their respective vvt angle. They should both be in sync at all times. If not, then either one of them is defective, or there is an issue with the oil flow (which can then kill the turbo).

You will also be able to tell whether you have a boost/vacuum leak by looking at your long term fuel trims. And so much more (misfires per cylinder, feedback knock, etc..)

Thanks for that, I didn't realize it would throw a code.

Will it do that with the EGT sensor in place? I read it will pass smog, as long as the car is warmed up beforehand.

I have an Innova obd2 reader. It did throw a code for an o2 sensor so I replaced that. Then it was misfire cylinders 1 & 2.

Since I took it apart, I've purchased a BAFX bluetooth unit and loaded the Piston App on My phone, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Once I get the cartridge I will report back as to the results.

Thanks for the help!

I am not sure if the piston app can read the specific variables pertaining to the subaru ecus. Maybe it can, but I kinna doubt it. It will most likely only show basic variables, not the 'good' ones.

I did not get a code when I replaced my catted up pipe with a catless one. However, if you have completely removed the egt sensor, then you will get a code. You can avoid that by putting a 2.2K Ohms resistor in the egt plug on the wiring harness.

It would be good to know what the numbers should be for the angles, knock etc. Is there somewhere I could look for those?

The VVT angles can vary between 0 and 17 deg (or more) depending on the tune. Usually, the vvt angles are zero when the engine is cruising and not really under load. As soon as you hit boost, or increase the engine load, then these numbers become non zero (but should stay in sync).

As for the knock, it is unit of degrees. Essentially, if the engine hears knocking, it will pull timing (e.g. -2.00 deg) in order to avoid damage.

So, I got the replacement cartridge but during the rebuild I found a crack behind the wastegate flap through to the exhaust outlet. I am looking for a replacement housing but as yet have had no luck.

It is the VF40 Turbo.Can anyone recommend a source for this Please!

Also until then what could be the worst case senario, if I rebuild and use this Turbo until I get the replacement .

Thanks xt2005bonbon, I will keep that in mind. I'm hoping to get a housing to keep costs down, as all other parts are good and I can put it together.

I'm also thinking of taking it to a pro welder for a possible brazing fix. It's a small crack and not, as far as I can tell structural.

I wanted to let everyone know that after removing the pre cat and rebuilding the turbo, the car is running great!

I found out through various forums that most turbo's develop a crack in the wastegate area due to no warm up or cool down period.

I do want to point out that the pipe from the Banjo to the turbo has two fittings that are restricted, I assume to control oil flow to the turbo.

It would be prudent to blow air through this pipe when servicing or removing the banjo filter, as mine was blocked.

Anyway thanks for the help, this is an indispensable resource for all who own a Subaru.

Archived