LegacyGT.com

Photobucket kills Embedded Images, wants you to pay $400/y now

covertrussian

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5233/3Vof8h.png

:lol:

This has been true for a long, long time.

I used Imageshack for many years until they decided to limit your storage. Now I just use my Google account, but I don't post nearly as many pics as I used to since I rarely take the time to share whatever I am working on, nor do I tend to do much in the way of detailed tech help anymore.

The real suck on this move is that anything that is archived is now pretty much gone. I've got thousands of posts here trying to help with ideas and tutorials. Now they are all gone. Or at least the images are. My site is affected too because I would build the article on a site like this and then copy and paste it into my wordpress site. Now I get to upload all the pictures to wordpress and reinsert them into the articles. This is going to be huge all over the internet. Even if you didn't use Photobucket, it is likely that a topic you are interested in is going to have a walkthrough posted somewhere by someone who did use Photobucket and you are only going to see their ransom letter.

https://www.change.org/p/photobucket-reverse-the-photobucket-third-party-rule?recruiter=759387580&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=triggered

That petition is something being sent to Photobucket. If you are impacted by this at all, maybe take a second and sign your name to it. It probably won't make any difference, but it is a free thing you can do to express what a dick move this was for them.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

While I'm very annoyed with Photobucket, I find those petitions a little too naive. They are a company who are trying to survive, if they can't pay for their servers and staff then their site will shutdown period. People are expecting their services to be a public right or something.

I think the petition shouldn't be for free storage, but should be about introducing more reasonable plans. $30 a year for a hobbiest? Sure why not.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 1 month later...

External linking always seemed like a bad idea to me. Just upload the images here.

I also wish the forum software would automatically download and store externally linked images to preserve content.

Any reason not to use imgur?

They have the same policy, just are not enforcing it just yet.

External linking always seemed like a bad idea to me. Just upload the images here.

I also wish the forum software would automatically download and store externally linked images to preserve content.

20 images per post is an annoying limitation. I easily do 30-50 images per detailed post/how to, but I downsize them so they are usually 200kb per image. With 20 pic limitation I have to spend more time combining pictures, or doing multiple posts. It just gets annoying after a while, mods take 2-5 hours longer in order to take pics, resize, upload, upload again etc. Soon enough I'm not sure I'm gonna have that time luxury.

The next issue is organization. I like having albums and sub albums where I can neatly organize the pictures depending on what they are off. This makes it much easier for me to later find a specific picture to help a fellow forum member. All of vbulletin's image galleries are lacking in features and sub albums, so that's usually an annoying one too.

22 Ascent STOCK

Apparently I don't have a high enough post count for viewing images hosted here despite me having been a member for two years.

If you follow forum etiquette and search before posting, you always end up finding the answers to the questions you have. This equates to a low post count.

I'm trying to browse the used marketplace for parts for my LGT but can't view any of the images and I'm really frustrated by it.

They have the same policy, just are not enforcing it just yet.

20 images per post is an annoying limitation. I easily do 30-50 images per detailed post/how to, but I downsize them so they are usually 200kb per image. With 20 pic limitation I have to spend more time combining pictures, or doing multiple posts. It just gets annoying after a while, mods take 2-5 hours longer in order to take pics, resize, upload, upload again etc. Soon enough I'm not sure I'm gonna have that time luxury.

The next issue is organization. I like having albums and sub albums where I can neatly organize the pictures depending on what they are off. This makes it much easier for me to later find a specific picture to help a fellow forum member. All of vbulletin's image galleries are lacking in features and sub albums, so that's usually an annoying one too.

Of course the ancient forum software has been always annoying picture management wise. But we just found the high price of free services.

Not to say this forum won't disappear one day :(

• 3 months later...

I just got an awesome Photobucket phishing email. They are clever, trying to capitalize on Photobucket's mistakes and are pretending that "Photobucket" is offering a lower priced plan for 3rd tier hosting.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=259973&stc=1&d=1514504557

My hats off to you clever spammers :lol:

303953378_PhotobucketPhishing.thumb.PNG.b74d23add301ad75ab6ee17982be4bdf.PNG

22 Ascent STOCK

It's clunky, but if you want to use your Pb photos, then use this process to attach your photos to the site's server, then use those pics to link your photo into your thread wherever you want on the site.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...

You can simplify the process by using Chrome and installing the "photobucket embed fix" extension. That lets you just right-click the images to save them locally. Then you can attach them by selecting the local copies.

I re-did my build thread a few days ago, and will be doing my FMIC thread next.

• 1 month later...

They took it a step further, got rid of the album download option, and now I can't even download individual images that are not corrupt (they are all 0 bytes).

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/019/304/old.jpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 3 weeks later...

Archived