LegacyGT.com

How to: Remove Dome Light Lens

I couldn't find this anywhere in the manual (though I could have sworn I'd seen it before :confused: ) nor could I find it in the Service Manual, so after figuring out the best way, I thought I'd share.

Couple weeks ago the girl I'm seeing pointed out a big bug in my dome light. The last two weeks, I've tried a few times when I was bored to open it, but no luck, and didn't want to damage anything.

So today I was bored and determined.

INSTRUCTIONS

Use some kind of plastic card. In my case, a driver's license was perfect.

Start where the molding for the switch meets the lens. I used my fingernail to barely pry that section apart, and I put the corner of my license between the lens and the upper part of the dome light housing.

http://burnedimage.afraid.org/temp/wt1.jpg

Then I slid the card around to the back center of the housing as shown.

http://burnedimage.afraid.org/temp/wt2.jpg

Then push in the direction of the arrow above(gentle pressure is all that is needed) and gently pull down and all is released perfectly.

http://burnedimage.afraid.org/temp/wt3.jpg

Then I got the big nasty moth out and cleaned up the lens a little more before re-installing. Still no idea how he ever got in there!

- Brady

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
you mean the ones on the mirrors or the front of the car?

i mean the front head light's turn singal:) the amber one

'cause my signal were kind of fast blink, i think one day it might burn out and look for the 3157 LED for replacement.:)

Hey James Lee Brady, you may wanna blur your DL out a touch. :lol:

It's Brady James Lee, thank you.

And I had already checked ... there was nothing useful on that card ... it was an old card! ;)

And it's about one week away from being twice outdated!

• 1 month later...
how do I change the bulb on the driver's side map light? You know the little ones next to the mirror?

I have a 99 outback.

Also, my key won't unlock the passenger side door...

If I remember right there is a little notch on the clear plastic covering the light, sick your key in there and just pop it off

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

My dome light died a couple weeks ago. I went and bought replacement bulbs, got home, and started to pry the lens off. I got a corner of it off (just hands, no tools) and looked down as I got both hands over my head to pull the lens off evenly. It came off nicely. I looked up and suddenly the light is on! I put pressure on the bulb, holder, and housing to see if there was perhaps a bad ground or something... oh well it works now. Odd though. (And no I didn't simply turn the switch on!)

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• 6 months later...
My dome light does not work. I have checked my fuses, and the bulb and they seem fine. I checked 16 in the passenger box, is that the correct one? the light in the back of the wagon works fine. Any other suggestions?

My dome light died a couple weeks ago. I went and bought replacement bulbs, got home, and started to pry the lens off. I got a corner of it off (just hands, no tools) and looked down as I got both hands over my head to pull the lens off evenly. It came off nicely. I looked up and suddenly the light is on! I put pressure on the bulb, holder, and housing to see if there was perhaps a bad ground or something... oh well it works now. Odd though. (And no I didn't simply turn the switch on!)

I thought of this post when I couldn't get it to work. i just gave the light a quick pound and it came on. Now it comes on and off randomly. If it is off I have to smack it once and it will turn on.

Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
I thought of this post when I couldn't get it to work. i just gave the light a quick pound and it came on. Now it comes on and off randomly. If it is off I have to smack it once and it will turn on.

Any suggestions?

i had this same problem and i did the same thing. I simple smack to the dome light and BAM! its was back on. Now the stupid thing died and wont come on at all

• 5 years later...

Archived