LegacyGT.com

BCP X500+ vs. HTZ Black/Blue - opinions?

Which turbo?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which turbo?

• Stick with current ATP GTX3076R
    • BCP X500+ 60lbs
    • FP Blue 57lbs
    • FP Black 71lbs

Looking to upgrade my turbo from the ATP GTX3076R to something a little different. I know its a bit hard to compare these turbos.

Black flows at 71lbs, Blue at 57lbs., BCP X500+ at 60lbs.

BCP seems to have the best spool, and ultimately it looks like it will hit my power goals of 450 on pump and meth.

Car spun a bearing on the build motor, so I am going with an IAG stage 2 tuff block, new oiling components, redecking the head and putting it all back together.

My current setup was laggy for me, so im concerned the black will be too laggy as well, but theres plenty of flow to make up for it up top. stock heads so i wont be revving out, i think im swaying towards the x500+ or blue for replacement.

Do not plan to go rotated at this time.

Current setup is:

Engine

ATP GTX3076r stock location

Cobb Accessport V2

P&L Motorsports 44mm EWG Uppipe and Dumptube

Tial 44mm EWG

Deatschwerks 1000cc Injectors

IAG Fuel Rails and Lines

IAG AOS

Perrin Coolant Overflow Tank

Gates Racing Timing Belt Kit

Killer B Oil Pickup

STI Intake Manifold

NGK One Step Colder Plugs

Tial Q 50mm BOV

TGV Deletes

Aeromotive FPR

Grimmspeed ECBS

Hallman Manual Boost Controller

Perrin 3" Inlet

Short Ram Intake

DW 65c fuel pump

AMR FMIC Custom Piping

JE Pistons

Manley Rods

ARP Head Studs

Kings Bearing

STI OEM Crankshaft

B25 Heads

Stock Valvetrain

block will be a new stage 2 tuff from IAG

Exhaust

Invidia Catless DP

Stromung Exhaust

Drivetrain

Duracon Shift Knob

DCCD Pro Center Differential Controller

2005 STI Transmission

2005 STI R180 Differential

2008 STI SPT Shifter and Linkage

Competition Stage 3 Clutch

OEM STI Flywheel

Which would you go with and why? That X500+ is mighty tempting, but the black on meth would be bananas.

Stick with your existing turbo and get a Killer B holy header for better spool and overall power.

Could also consider Gen2 GTX turbo

http://www.atpturbo.com/info/garrettgen2gtx.html

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-SUB-088&Category_Code=SUB

I think with your built SB youll be happy with the 3076 once its all dialed in. I was also considering the x500 as the plots ive seen look really great. But with a built SB and retune on my sxt71 i might be pleased. Seems that headwork is needed for the bigger snails to take in all the benefits.

How long were you on the 3076 setup?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

9000 miles, but I only got to enjoy it for about 20 miles before the motor spun a bearing. Previous owner gave me a dyno plot, at 18lbs it was at 340/350tqe, but late spool, like 4700 before the power really kicked in. That turbo is only happy at 22+ lbs, which leads me to believe its good for upwards of 420 with meth. He claims it was a "break-in" tune, but after 9K miles its way beyond break in period. Makes me think they knew something was up with the motor, but eh, serves me right. Even at what I paid, building a motor would be about right for the cost of buying one built like that. We'll see where I go with it, but as of right now I'll prob stick with the 3076r and tune it properly.

• 1 month later...

so i decided to go with kelford cams to ride out the powerband a little longer - due to this i will be keeping the GTX3076R to see how it all plays out. Went with an Agency Power ELH, was a cheaper option and havent heard anything terrible about them. For the price, if it cracks down the road ill go with the killer b. Short on funds right now so this seemed to fit the bill well.

With the ELH, kelford and built motor with meth, im sure ill be happier on that turbo.

If I get bored ill upgrade to that bcp x500+ and run flex fuel and see how that turns out, but right now Im more interested in getting the car up and running again.

• 4 months later...

love my Killer B style manifold to EWG up pipe on stock block w/

blouch 1.5xtr 3in 10cm I crank 19psi at about 2850rpm. kept her there for safety. tuner could easily have brought her up to 24psi at about 3050rpm.

• 3 weeks later...
just bought an x500+ bc i decided to go e85 and really want to hit 500whp since i have the build for it. Go big or go home i guess. Here goes nothing...
Nice! Do share your dyno plot and impressions. Im thinking of getting the x500. Seems to spool quicker than my steamspeed stx71. Waiting to see if i score on this spec b 6 speed trans if its a no go i will get sb built. Cant wait to hear your impressions

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

will do, ran into some issues bc the gtx3076 was a 3" inlet and the bcp turbo is a 2.4" so i need to order a new perrin inlet for it.

Weird that a ~20G turbo will but down more power than a 3076, but looking forward to the results.

Archived