LegacyGT.com

E-brake randomly setting itself

Brake fluid low is what can light up the red brake warning light in the cluster.

And it's Park Brake, not E-brake. The primary use is when you park the car, the park position of the gear lever is often insufficient and can't be trusted to the same level.

453747.png

Both times it has happened was on perfectly level services and I know I did not set that or the hill holder function. Brake fluid is fine. I know the function of the "Park Brake". I would like to know the difference between "Park Brake" and a "E-Brake". I am pretty sure they both serve the same function no matter what you call them.

My guess is the hill holder button has been depressed, and is setting the brake for you. Recheck the manual, look to see if that icon is lit up on your dash, and disprove that this is the reason, if not, next stop needs to be the dealer because the only time my car sets the brake is with that option enabled (and it uses the brakes for adaptive cruise, if you are stopped for a while it may engage the e-brake, but then it will disengage when you start driving without any other input--it doesn't happen often because traffic isn't bad where I live so I rarely sit long at lights, and since is is rare, I don't remember if the red light on the e-brake lights up in that circumstance).

You clarified the brake fluid level, but not the actual issue that you're having. Need more detail to understand the issue. Were u driving or sitting still? Are u certain the brake applied, or did the brake light just come on? The more detailed u can be, the more we can try to help. Worst case, just take it to the dealer.

Both times it happened it was after the car had been sitting off. I got in, started it and noticed it was on based on what was illuminated in the cluster. But the actually park brake light was never illuminated and I never set it. I also have never used the hill holder function and it was not used either of these times. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this. If it happens again it will be going to the dealer to be inspected.

Archived