LegacyGT.com

Oil for oil change?

The oil filter needs to have the correct bypass pressure, it's important. The Subaru OEM filters and a few aftermarket ones do, but some don't. It's supposed to be 23 psi, IIRC. You can find a list via search.

I will check tonight since I only use the same filter brand and type in all my oil changes.

Ive changed my oil before and had an issue with the filter leaking. I used a purluator filter so maybe the psi rating was off and I was unaware of that even being an issue. This is part of the reason why I hesitate to working on the Subaru. Any other car I worked on is fairly straight forward. I am thinking if I can get the right info I will change the oil myself and takle my cabin air filter since that needs to be changed

Easy to change.

Easy to change.

Yup. Grab your biggest flat blade screwdriver first, you'll want to push on the glove box strut pivot thingy with the side of that to save wear and tear on your thumb, but other than that, piece of cake.

5W-30 is what's recommended for the EJ253, but the FB25 in the '13+ is supposed to get 0W-20.

Just make sure that you don't go below the right side value in viscosity and you'll be fine.

So for the FA/FB you can run 5W30, 0W30 or even 0W40. But don't use the 0W20 on the EJ, make sure it's at least xW30 or xW40. (x can be anything you like though.)

And look at this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clearing-up-all-oil-info-79800.html

453747.png

I was unsure why the filter leaked but the dealer look it over and changed the oil looking for a consumption problem and stated that it was just the filter leaking. I didn't see how a filter would leak after being tightened down but apparently it can happen. I thought it was Subaru making the customer use their filter and making sure the other manufacturers filters don't fit properly.

I was unsure why the filter leaked but the dealer look it over and changed the oil looking for a consumption problem and stated that it was just the filter leaking. I didn't see how a filter would leak after being tightened down but apparently it can happen. I thought it was Subaru making the customer use their filter and making sure the other manufacturers filters don't fit properly.

Square-cut gasket vs. round gasket. Square-cuts leak, round ones don't. It's a simple as that.

As for oil, EJ2xxT motors just love German/Belgian Castrol, assuming you can still find it.

Square-cut gasket vs. round gasket. Square-cuts leak, round ones don't. It's a simple as that.

As for oil, EJ2xxT motors just love German/Belgian Castrol, assuming you can still find it.

The oil filter had a round gasket. Can't say I have ever seen a square cut gasket for an oil filter. Unless Im misunderstanding what your saying.

Archived