LegacyGT.com

is it possible to get air into the coolant by the water pump ?

Hi,

I'm suspecting a head gasket but as long as I drive the temp is ok but after around 20min if I IDLE in trafic jam for example the coolant get close to the red so my mecanic is wondering if a leak in the coolant pump may let enter exhaust gaz or exterior air ( I have low CO² ) in the collant ?

Have you ever heard about this ?

Thanks by advance

I have the same issue in my '05 3.0. Just started within the last couple weeks. I'm suspecting the thermostat might be getting stuck, or the system needs to be "burped". There's a slight chance it's the water pump, but OEM Subaru water pumps tend hold up pretty well. I'm dropping it off on Monday, and will report back what they find.

Edit: my fans come on, and run, and run, and run.....

I have the same issue in my '05 3.0. Just started within the last couple weeks. I'm suspecting the thermostat might be getting stuck, or the system needs to be "burped". There's a slight chance it's the water pump, but OEM Subaru water pumps tend hold up pretty well. I'm dropping it off on Monday, and will report back what they find.

Edit: my fans come on, and run, and run, and run.....

If you haven't done any work recently requiring the coolant to be drained and filled and have no leaks then burping is not going to fix it. If your upper and lower rad hoses are hot at normal operating temperature then it's not a thermostat issue.

Sounds like both of you have headgasket problems but it's always a good idea to do your due diligence prior to pulling the trigger on taking the motor out.

Archived