LegacyGT.com

Which is the best Subaru stereo?

Kharl

Hi guys!

I have a18993 legacy which i adapt a 2006 impreza stereo (in reality the only adaptation was to output the new harness/connector, because everything else did fit perfectly in the dash) the sound quality and loudness was noticeable even with the same speakers, but yesterday i did a “vapor” air duct Cleaning and it was more a “water air duct Cleaning… a lot of moist reached the stereo and it got damaged… ok

I want to upgrade the unit (we will talk the adaptation / fitting subject later) and i wanted to know taking into account your own experience…

Which of the original Subaru stereos does sound better for you (loudness (output power) and quality???

More specifically i am interested in one of these two stereos

Clip_4.jpg

Or this

s-l1600.jpg

The 2008-2014 Impreza/WRX/STi stereos (and some 2015 models) and 2009-2015 Forester stereos won't fit in a 2004 or older Legacy without significant modifications to your dash opening. On those newer radios, the body is standard double-DIN size, but the face is 1" wider (8" instead of the standard 7" DIN width). On later years, the face is even larger.

Many owners have been unhappy with the audio quality of most of Subaru's OEM radios. You'll be much happier with aftermarket, with far less work to install it, better sound, and modern features (USB, Bluetooth, rear camera capability, etc.).

I know that Panasonic made many years of Subie head units and now of course Harmon Kardon is making all of them or "outsourcing" them to companies they own.

I think Subie stereo systems of the past 3 or 4 years sound really good.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a old thread...but I and the GF think the stock sound system with the OEM mid range speaker upgrade and Sub in my 05 wagon sounds a slight bite better then the HK system in my 09 Spec B.

Both those cars are hands down way better then the system in the 2016 Outback 3.6R.

My 05 wagon will fill the car with sound, I feel as if the speakers are right around my head.

The 2016 the sound is coming from in front or in back of us, can't get that feeling of being surrounded by sound. The major difference I can see is the 2016 doesn't have mid range speakers in the top of the doors.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived