LegacyGT.com

'06 LGT Suspension Maintenance

Headso

Hi All,

Need some advise from all you Legacy owners.

I have a 2006 Legacy GT (168,000 kms or 105,000 Miles). Purchased late 2016. Looks good, runs great but feels like a fat squishy cow. I've put some bucks aside to do a good overhaul of some/most of the suspension parts but I've only recently joined team Subaru and am unfamiliar with some of the finer details of what is recommended.

I would assume that the following needs/should to be done...

1. Tie Rod Ends.

2. Ball Joints

3. Struts

4. Shocks

But here is where i'm unsure of the Subaru requirements...

1. If i pull the front shocks should i be replacing a/ upper mount b/ strut bumper c/ dust cover

2. If i pull the rear struts should i be replacing a/ dust cover b/ spring seat c/ upper mount

What else would be a worth while fix/maintenance recommendation that people often overlook? Or items that would give improvements to driving and handling feel?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Regards

Adam

I'm in essentially the same situation. I went over my car and replaced the front control arm bushings and sway bar bushings, as well as some used H&R springs from the Marketplace here paired with new KONIs all around. I also installed Hawks HPS pads & new blank rotors from AutoZone. Feels like a entirely different vehicle while keeping everything under $900.

Here's what I have done on my legacy. I spent a lot more than $900. :redface:

Front:

Struts

Springs

Lower control arms (didn't want to press the bushings out)

Tie Rod Ends

Ball Joints

Knuckle (depending on if the lower knuckle pinch bolt comes out for the ball joint)

Wheel Bearing (because if you have it that far apart, why not, the car has >100K on it)

Upper Strut Mount

Sway bar end links

Rear:

Upper Strut Mount

Strut

Spring

Rear Strut Upper Rubber Stopper

Don't forget to plan for an alignment afterwards.

Suggestions so far are good.

At a minimum, shocks have probably had it at this point & bushings are tired. Look at the Mevotech aluminum front control arms, they give a lot of bang for the buck and save labor. New sway bar bushings and endlinks. Moog offers inexpensive endlinks that are good quality. I like Energy suspension bushings though there are several good brands out there. Front strut mounts (top hats) may still be OK, but might as well replace them "while you are in there".

One other thing, if you still are running with the stock rear sway bar, upgrading it to a stiffer bar helps the handling a lot (gets rid of that pushy handling & the boat-like feeling). You might as well do that now. Don't go too stiff, though, or the car will get tail happy. Whiteline has good sway bars, but there are other good ones out there, too.

Whiteline also has a new line of bushings that don't need grease - they're impregnated with oil (probably porous). There are no new part numbers, just a running product change, so you'll have to talk to the vendor(s) to see whether thay have the new bushings for your car.

Archived