LegacyGT.com

Looking at another 2nd gen- should I go for this?

Thinking of getting a third 2nd gen Legacy to add to the fleet- this one for our youngest son, a new driver. I found a '95 LSI BD sedan. Haven't seen it in person yet, but talked at length to the owner and have seen lots of pics and videos so far.

Unlike my other 2, this one has lots more miles (233K), but it is an EJ22. Body is fairly clean except for typical small amount of rust on the quarters. I do like the owner has changed out the following in the past 4 or 5 years struts, steering rack, tie rod ends and bellow, axles. Timing belt, tensioner, idlers were last changed 30K miles ago. Pretty much anything I've had to do on my 19 year old 96K and 126K mile cars has already been done on this one.

The downside is that both catalytic converters need to be replaced along with some other exhaust repairs. Also, the speedometer only starts working once you've reached a certain speed, so I'm guessing the speed sensor on that?

Price is really good- $600. What else should be looking at checking/ replacing on a car approaching the 250K mile mark.

I'd worry about the condition of the trans at that mileage, also the cats are $400+ each for OEM ones and the non working speedo can be a PITA to get working so even though its only $600, you'll have to put over that in it right away to get the emissions system squared away

I'm a bit over 220,xxx on my 97 sedan. Trans shifts fine and is pretty much been a decent car. I've owned it since 2012. You can get a one piece cat off Ebay for under $250. As far as the speedo issue I have no clue. I have over sized tires and used a app on my phone till I figured out it is 3mph over now. I was in a wreck and they totaled it gave me $2300 for it. I rebuilt it for under $400.

I think for well under $1000(car included) you could fix all the major issues as long as you can do the work yourself.

I'm thinking the exhaust system may be more than I can do myself (owner said there is a broken flange also)- so might need to pay an exhaust shop for that.

If the speedo issue is the speed sensor, it looks easy to replace- $100 for a new one. But I've also heard of the plastic gear in the transmission breaking- if that's the case, would the speedo work at all, but that would be a total PITA.

There was a recent thread here about changing that speedo gear. Yes, not fun.

From talking with the PO do you believe the coolant has been replaced regularly as it should? That can be a big factor for head gasket life.

I had the flange break on mine cost $40 for the muffler shop to cut and weld it back. I could have fixed it but my welder was in storage. I might have gotten a discount because I have been going to this same shop since 2004.

As tempting as a car like this was cared for is, I think I'm going to pass as I see the exhaust work getting pricey. I see $2,500 or more going into the car and I'm not sure a a 233k mile car is worth all that. Also, I'd like my son to get a few more years out of it and I'm not sure he would.

Archived