LegacyGT.com

Perrin Short Ram Intake Sounds

BigT

And now for the info you may not want to hear. You really need the ECU tuned to have the motor to run safley with that intake. Do a search it has been discussed at length. Your AFR's and EGT's will be affected negatively. Needless to say the extra noise is the least of your worries.

^

you don't need to get ECU tuned from an intake

if you wanna gain power from intake, you do need to get it tuned tho

I'll have to respectfully disagree. My car ran poorly with my Perrin intake. It seemed to run lean, forcing the ECU to pull timing and I lost power. I'm sure that a retune would have let the intake help make more power, but without appropriate tuning it was not healthy for my car. I'm running a custom tuned Stage I type Ecutek reflash on my car, that was tuned before the intake. With a completely stock car, I'd imagine the leaner AFR's to be completely safe, but there are no guarantees.

I agree w/Boostjunkie.

Looking at brother PhilT's logs, it seems that, at least on the stock flash, although A/F does lean out and EGTs do climb significantly, we should still be OK.... Still a risk? Definitely a possibility - especially when combined with other mechanical mods.

Would the car make slightly more power or would it lose power, with all other components held "stock" - that , I think, is more to the tune of each individual vehicle and each circumstance.

Without a proper tune with this intake installed, I'd actually just put this modification into the category of "aural mod only."

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I agree w/Boostjunkie.

Looking at brother PhilT's logs, it seems that, at least on the stock flash, although A/F does lean out and EGTs do climb significantly, we should still be OK.... Still a risk? Definitely a possibility - especially when combined with other mechanical mods.

Would the car make slightly more power or would it lose power, with all other components held "stock" - that , I think, is more to the tune of each individual vehicle and each circumstance.

Without a proper tune with this intake installed, I'd actually just put this modification into the category of "aural mod only."

With an AP Stg 1 flash, the problem was even worse, that's why it still is on the bench in the garage. My UP & DP are on their way this week, so hopefully should get them fitted and flash to Stg 2 soon. I'll put the intake back on then and take some logs again, see what the difference is. Stay tuned..................

I'm assuming you guys are running cobb maps. Those aren't supposed to be run with intake last time I checked. Major problems so far. I got the short ram intake though, not the MAF intake which requires ECU tuning. The Perrin dealer, who is also the Subaru shop said that I don't need a tune. If I'm wrong please tell me why. Also, what information are you guys basing your judgements on? I don't plan on doing any further modifications, and I do think that the car has gotten faster, especially when the RPMs get up there. By the way what are AFR's and EGT's?

If someone wants to tell me how to record audio and get it on my computer I'll go ahead and do that for you giotein.

Hey KTM where on LI do you live? I'm in Hicksville and Garden City a lot.

BigT -

Listen to your Perrin dealer if you prefer, that's definitely your choice.....however, PhilT is a fellow community member, one without vested interest in the sales of said product. We are basing our cautionary statements on his independent datalogs.

In this case, I'd much more favor the peer review, rather than the insistance of any shop with commercial ties/interests - no disrespect meant to whichever shop is referenced, and I'd hope that they'd understand. :)

Even so, it remains to be said that although the EGTs were high and the AFRs lean, whether this is indicative of some extra power to be had or if it is instead pushing towards where the ECU will pull timing...well, that part is currently debated.

Basically, on stock EM, it's "use at your own discretion."

You are correct, though, in stating that Cobb Tuning specifically cautions against use of aftermarket intakes with their AccessPort's off-the-shelf tuning maps.

When I e-mailed Cobb about this specific fitment (Perrin Short Ram with their off-the-shelf "Staged" maps), they strongly recommended against it, citing unpredictable individual (i.e. car-to-car) variances. They recommended only a custom tune.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

There is no question: changing the intake design will affect the amount and temperature of intake charge reaching the motor. Assuming you are not using a BIG maf intake tube (one that requires recalibrating the MAF signal), your a/f ratio will be slightly altered.

Personally, I would be most concerned about the pre-cat in the up pipe, with this mod. If the intake does infact make the car run leaner, then the EGT temps will be higher - and higher EGT temps increase the likelyhood of that cat crumbling into the VF-40.

Regardless, who would buy a short ram intake without getting a tune? What's the point? If you are buying one, I hope you plan on installing a front mount, because a longer intake tube that draws cooler air from the wheel wells will be more efficient - a short ram intake is only necessary to allow the FMIC pipes to pass down to the bumper.

Archived